DETECTOR CHATTER

Discussion in 'Prospecting & Detecting' started by Eureka Moments, Feb 5, 2012.

1. DanDee

DanDee Active Member Silver Stacker

using a gpx5000, gold makes a high pitched noise that sounds (to me) like a gremlin with a lung full of helium calling out digmee.... digmeee

2. Guest

Guest Guest

The 705 is a great machine and actually a step above a simple starter rig, but without the steep learning curve of say the Sov GT or Etrac.

It's a very versatile machine that falls under the loose banner of 'jack of all trades' because of the programmability of the unit, great adaptability to your detecting environment and the fact you can swap out coils for different situations.

There's only a couple models (for the coin/relic scene) that I'd recommend above this from the Minelabs stable and you'll be paying about $500 - $1000 retail more for the privilege.

If it's your first machine, you'll get to grips with it quickly and won't have to upgrade for a long while unless you want a 'serious' detecting machine.

Like in my other 2011 finds thread, even a bog standard sub $300 job can find 'stuff' without a problem if you know what you're doing. The 705 will make life just that little bit easier I reckon.

It's a basic enough machine for a starter to get to grips with and not feel totally lost, but complex enough that you will get a lot of milage out of it and not need an upgrade for quite a long time (if at all).

If I was uprading tomorrow on a budget, the 705 would be at the top of my list.

3. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Going out for a look tomorrow with the 4500. Have permission to detect on some private land in a nice area. About an hour from home but worth the drive according to what Ive seen on maps and heard via the owner.

The property backs onto a creek on Crown land so I can check that out also. Lots (hundreds) of shallow diggings show up on the satt. photos. Its also near a main country road so there might be some junk issues...might be a good or bad thing.

Now is a great time of the year for detecting, at least it is here in Vic, and according to me. Hardly any mozzies, no march flies, bullants and jumping jacks pretty quiet and fewer snakes and drop bears. Its cold but thats when you can wear extra layers of clothing and get in and amongst some of the places with a lot of overgrown undergrowth.

The main prickly plants in my area are (imported) gorse and blackberries. Other areas have natives like hakeas that have some wicked spikes on them. Im not a fan of wearing gloves as they make everything difficult to do, like locating targets once theyre out of a hole. I would rather wear some gumboots (good year round imo), ski pants (cheaper ones without any metal zips on the lower legs work well), and as much upper layering as you like or require. I also wear a Hoodie sometimes...if it is wet you can put it on over your headphones to keep them and you dryer. Plastic shopping bags can help keep your control box dry (Can also help keep dust off in summer)

You can then venture into some places that not everyone else has...or at least not thouroughly. You can use your legs and arms to get in and amongst the spikey plants. This is a good way to find undetected patches that you can then concentrate on.

Or you can pack up the 4WD and take off to WA. :envy:

4. Eureka Moments

Signs of potentially good places to detect.

[​IMG]

Must wait until area has been declared safe after burning which is usually 3 days.

5. Au-mageddon

Au-mageddon Active Member

The more I read these detector threads the more I want to go out and buy one ...

Just worried that there isnt much in the way of gold/goodies to find near little old Adelaide, and its a lot of money to spend if its going to end up sitting in the shed taking up space.

6. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

PM me if your ever serious about a minelab detector.

7. scone

scone Active Member Silver Stacker

I have an idea, I'm not an electrician so unsure if it will work.

If I was to enlarge and put the sensor of a detector onto a piece of conveyor belt which drags behind the vehicle and mount the rest in the cab of my 4wd it would make detecting a bit more comfortable and a scenic desert drive. Have a hand held detector to check out any readings.

dumb idea or good idea and is there anything already available for us lazy folk?

8. Eureka Moments

Save your bickies for a trip to WA. I am. :)

9. Crunchy Nut

Crunchy Nut Member Silver Stacker

There is only one easy way i have found to get some gold nuggets with very little effort.

Pick your gold prospecting town and book yourself into the local caravan park . When you get there have a few drinks with your new neighbours and get to know them .
    Then on the next afternoon when they all come back from their prospecting , offer to buy some of their nuggets :)

Doesnt always work but worth a try .

Cheaper then buying a detector but nowhere near as much fun.

10. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

[​IMG]

11. scone

thats pretty much exactly what I had in mind.

12. Ghost Story

there are many variations on this and would be just for patch finding then get out the hand held, need money to set up that's the only problem i can think of.

13. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

That and what did they screw the planks with ?

14. Ghost Story

have no idea but would have to be something good.

15. scone

Thats why I was thinking conveyor belt and holding the wires with a silicone product of some sort.

16. Ghost Story

i seen one for sale somewhere cant seem to find it but its like a conveyor belt 2 x 2 m about could drag it behind anything think it might have been okm brand will find it again at some point.

but sure could make one for a minelab but remember it can not have any metal in it.

17. Eureka Moments

A 40"x20" nuggetfinder coil and hand trolley setup is available new for AUD $1500. Non-motorised though.

One problem for lazy folk is that you will be required to dig a hole or 100 to get to your reward. Your reward or piece of crap may be a metre down. Takes the same effort to dig both.

Big coils find big targets, and at big depth in big hard ground. Only some them are the preferred target species.

An ATV setup would be good, but impractical where I go. Might get one and drive it across the Nullabor. :D

18. Sa_bogan

Sa_bogan Active Member Silver Stacker

im looking forward to going out after i go with miners den to buy myself a detector and hit the parks and beach near my place

19. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

construction adhesive like no more nails or gyprock adhesive would work . Ive had to remove timber thats has been stuck together with it & it pulls the top layers off the timber the adhesive doesnt give way the timber does .....its tough when completely cured