Denali ATB 5oz questions

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Rick4691, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Rick4691

Rick4691 Member Silver Stacker

Hi stackers got a couple of questions about this coin please.
    Why when looking up this coin on ebay I can see they have sold for anywhere between $5 to $400? something to do with cameo?
    My specimen looks immaculate under the glass but it is only in a capsule: no box or COA

All the ones I have seen on ebay are slabbed, is it worth me getting mine done and how much would it cost roughly?
    How much is mine worth as is and iis anyone interested?

Cheers for any help

2. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think there are different versions for each coin, thus resulting in different buying/selling prices.

May have to wait for the experts to comment for this one!

3. Kam

Kam Active Member Silver Stacker

If I'm not mistaken, there are two different coins for the same design, a bullion version intended for the investors and available at the coin distributors/dealers, the second version is the uncirculated with a proof finish which has also a P mintmark and is sold only by the US mint as a subscription coin.

4. Rick4691

Hi Kam
    All I can see on my version is the raised letters SG on the goat side
    and JF on the Head side.
    The coin appears to be a semi frosted background with the raised surfaces highly polished.
    Excuse my ignorance everyone
    Rick

5. Rick4691

trying a photo
    [imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/11862_dsc01539.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

6. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

Just a correction since you have them switched around. The bullion version has the proof-like finish, and it's the collector's edition that is frosted and comes with COA and display box. The bullion version can be purchased from dealers (not available through the mint), but collector's version can be purchased directly from the mint for a short while, or from dealers later on.

Based on the picture and what's included, it looks like OP has the regular bullion version.

7. Rick4691

[​IMG]
    hopefully a better pic and mine seems to be frosted but only in the background

8. GreyGhost

GreyGhost New Member

you have the bullion version. also, the 5 oz never sold for $5. that would be actual quarter which this series is modeled after.
    the bullion version is valued @ approx $170-$200.

9. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Hi Rick,

be mindful that the US Mint producedsilver ATB's in the quarter size for every ATB in the 5 oz size that is available. The $5 selling price would almost certainly have been for the quarter size silver ATB.

As for slabbed vs OMP (Original Mint Packaging) and bullion vs collector version....it's not uncommon for people to be confused about it all.

So, in the 5 oz size, there are 2 versions; the silver bullion (BU) (no mint mark) and the silver collector version ("P" mint mark). BU comes only in plastic capsule from US Mint but sold ONLY to large distributors. Collector version is sold by the US Mint in typical attractive OGP and sold to the public. BU version tends to be shiny. Collector version is designed to have a matte ("vapor blast") finish....quite distinguishable from the BU version.

Pricing: for 5 oz coins of the same design and quality of strike (grading number), generally the collector version fetches more. Since these 5 oz coins have suffered from some less than ideal minting conditions at the US Mint, 69 and 70 graded coins of either version can fetch exceptional premiums.

There are also a handful of error varieties of the 5 oz collector version being reported to have been found.

I personally love the series and am trying to collect 1 of each of the collector version in its OGP. Yes, takes up more room in the safe deposit box than a slabbed coin, but some collectors like myself find some additional value in owning the coin as it came from the mint. The proof silver quarter size ATB's, as far as sets go, are a good set to also collect in my opinion. The mintage of these sets of certain years is relatively low compared to the US State silver proof quarters for example. To each their own though.

10. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

If anyone is looking to unload a bullion 5 oz Denali or Hawaii let me know please as I am trying to build the set.