Declared mintage of 1oz Koala is 38% HIGHER in 2007 than in 2008

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by picturefun, Jan 13, 2013.

1. picturefun

picturefun Member

2. tiburon18savard

tiburon18savard New Member

Many individuals are interested in the inaugural year of a particular bullion coin , all of the 1990 1 oz Kookaburra ,1986 American Eagle and the 1988 Canadian Maple often sell for more then other issues of the respective brand because of the desire for the first of the lineage!! Obviously mintage plays a role as the 1997 maple is the coin to get!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-1-Oz-S...=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

3. picturefun

picturefun Member

That is because they think they could flip the 1st issue later at Higher value. They are NOT interested in them because of the coin per se. This is why I mentioned "hording"

True collectors want the whole series/set, NOT just the 1st issue.

So they can horde 2007 koala, and I for one refuse to pay such a high premium to complete the two sets of koala I am collecting

4. tiburon18savard

tiburon18savard New Member

Is this what you are making reference to:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181057027511
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370730209865

I think it is great I love to see strong prices it is proactive. Did you get involved in this huge market to view prices going down and always paying less then the last guy. I doubt you could justify such investments if the items continually went down. If you are not going to pay the high premium , I am afraid that you will have to get really lucky and pay less then the last guy or simply not acquire the coin. All this money that the Western econmies are printing comes back to us from the Eastern Asian nations in terms of inflation so if you do not purchase it I assure you some savy South Korean, Malaysian, Singapore, Chinese collector will. Remember value is only a matter of perception. On the Secondary Market which is EBAY.

5. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

The 2007 has the higher price because its "first in the series". The first coin generally seems to the pick of a series. The Kookaburras for example, the 1990 trades higher than any other coin of the 1990's despite every year having the same 300k mintage.

I usually pick the years with low mintages if their price is the same as higher mintage years. So I have 2007 and 2008 koalas but only 1 of the other years.

It makes investing sense !

6. Zman

Zman Member

That is not true at all. The 2007 is the inaugural year as some other had mentioned as well as it is an awesome looking coin. Not always mintage determines premium but also demand for that particular year.

7. Zman

Zman Member

@picturefun

You mentioned you are collecting 2 koala sets. What 2 sets exactly?

I have the raw bullion complete set in 1/2 & 1 oz. I have the PCGS highest rated set minus the 2007 & I also have the complete specimen carded set.

I will add some photos when I get a chance.

8. picturefun

picturefun Member

Yes, I have two 1oz coin for each year except for 2007. I bought before the silver price went up. I bought 2 2008 MS69 for $35 each, but somehow I missed to buy 2007 ones.

Then I found out I do not have 2007 ones, but I refuse to pay more than $55 for not graded, or $70 for graded, shipping included. So I still do not have them. I am ok with it.

Who knows? if the silver goes back to $15 an oz, I think I might even pick one up for <$40 :D

9. picturefun

picturefun Member

Hard to say. Silver price goes up and down. price of Koala coins also fluctuated with silver price. When I just started to buy silver coins in 2009, 1oz Koala coin usually sold between $20 and $25 for one, 2007 coin included. I did not buy it because I thought I had bought them.

oh well, I can wait.

10. Zman

Zman Member

I hate to burst your bubble but the price of the 2007 koala is not going to go down substantially. As time goes on the coin becomes older and thus rarer as some coins have been destroyed/ruined/lost and some put away in storage of collectors resulting in the supply of "for sale" coins continuing to tighten. Not to mention that it is the inaugural year and key date.

To give you an idea the 2008 sp69 pcgs coin just recently sold on ebay for over $400 because there are 0 graded at sp70 & I have never seen the 2007 sp69 (also 0 sp70's for 2007) on ebay so I can only imagine the price it would command if one showed up.

The demand for that coin drives the price!

11. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

One person got it right.. ITS CALLED DEMAND.. if there are most buyers than sellers it will drive the current price to a higher price equilibrium, it really is as simple as that.

I have some 1000 mintage warriors of the world 50% silver proof coins... from the congo republic.. anyone want to pay me stupid prices cos they are ultra rare.. thought not.. but PM me if you want to pay a SMALL premium over spot.

I personally collect the downies carded Koala set from 1988- onwards ... not much demand but i think youll find there MINTAGE are ultra low.. something that has virtually nothing to do with the price.

Unless your POWERCOIN.IT in which case youll sell $10 worth of silver for $200 cos its U L T R A limited.. suckers

1for1