Decimal Coins in Original Mint Bags

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by Eureka Moments, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Does anybody try to buy newly released coins in the plastic bags they come from the mint in? Ive been shown a bag of 500 $1 anzac coins which contains 25 unmarked plastic bags of 20 coins.

The owner wants to know if they are worth keeping the bag of 500 unbroken or breaking them up for future resale. Not my normal field so thought Id ask for opinions.

2. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

depends how fast they want to sell them?

split to sell fast, keep to sell latter from my experience :)

3. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes worth keeping for the long run
    Currently selling $40-$45 a bag of $20 face value

4. Eureka Moments

Do the bags of 20 have any extra value compared to the paper rolls from armourgard and other cash distributors?

5. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

paper rolls would be worth more as there wouldn't be as many marks on the coins as the ones in bags.

6. JamesG

JamesG Member Silver Stacker

Hi all

Hope everyone is well,

to shed some light, uuuuuuuumm is right, rolled coin would show less bag marks as they are held tightly within the roll thus less chances of getting additional marks after the minting process.

as to the question is regards to keeping them as a whole bag or to split them up, this has to be answered by asking another question?

1. If the owner of this bag of coins is in the market for the long haul, i would suggest to keep them in the whole bag, WHY?
    this is because you leave yourself the option to split them later on or to sell the bag as a whole. Sometimes whole bags can fetch greater value then splitting into separate bags.

2. If your in it for the short haul, i would suggest breaking them up into smaller bags, this can be frustrating to sell, as you would need to sell a lot of them, but it will get you the most $$

in final please remember the mintage of this Anzac $1 coin 23,000,000 that is a mintage on the medium to high side.

hope this helps

James

7. Eureka Moments

Im not so sure coins in rolls would suffer less damage than coins in bags, at least initially.

My understanding is that the coins that go into rolls at places like armourgard are taken from their omp (plastic bags) and put through a machine via a hopper to package them in paper rolls. This means they can suffer more damage than coins in plastic bags which have not been through the extra step of processing.

Not arguing that over time the rolls are not a better storage option but to my way of thinking the better uncirculated examples would be in the omp and more worth buying.