Damaged Goods.

Discussion in 'Questions & Comments' started by Golden ChipMunk, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Recently, I received my order from a SS member , as stated before
    I ordered my coin. That the coins I ordered must be scratch free.
    So when I received them I noticed the capsule was damaged
    Not totally damaged through the coin, when I uncapsule it
    notice there is scratches on the coin. Imho I think the
    capsule have been opened.
    If a seller want to sell their goods must fully disclosed
    description of the sell contents. Even this person might
    have plenty positive feed back. Imho opinion I think
    it is wrong to do so.
    Have anyone experience this before?
    I think rules of thumb either in auction or normal sale
    a person must fully disclose or explain damages of an
    item before sales.
    What do you guys thinks?
    I wont name this person, guilty will get you back.

2. silver kook

silver kook Active Member

Depends on the coin really. If it is just generic bullion scratches will not make a difference either way as they don't have any numismatic value. Most of these come in tubes not capsules so some scratching is unavoidable. However if you ask about the condition then the seller should be fully accurate in the description of the product. If you are not happy why not try to organize a refund? I got pissed off once when I bought Pandas off a seller here and they taped all the capsules together and no matter what the sticky residue won't come off the capsules. I still don' t understand why you would package them like that!

3. Golden ChipMunk

I guess alot of the ss members still have lagged of knowledged how to pack parcel.
    Tips~ plenty of bubble wrap, ( avoid using brown tape) ,tissue paper or proper wrapper over capsules
    before bubble wrap, avoid using sticky tapes directly on capsules.
    If it is heavy my suggestion plenty of bubble wrap on it. It might not have a ding or dent
    before shipping when it arrived at the receiver end omg. It also happen in platinum post if
    for some reason lacked of wrapping materials finally in the box stopping it from tossing around.

4. Au-mageddon

Au-mageddon Active Member

I had one individual wrap loose capsules in packing tape - WORST MOVE EVER! Took me forever to remove the sticky bits from the capsules.

If packing loose capsules, I find best to group them together then wrap them in bubble wrap to make a roll.
    Alternatively wrap them in gladwrap, then bubblewrap them.

As for bars, I bubble wrap them, then wrap them in a layer of thick cardboard - to give them some extra protection.

Bubble wrap/cardboard is cheap - and you can always recycle it (if its still in good nick).

5. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I agree with disclosure.... but apparently some stackers do not: http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-36188-buzz-page-1.html

I have had this happen twice to me, one member was fully agreeable to a refund, one member recieved -ve feedback and I copped it sweet.

6. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Disclosure (actual or implied) is part of the contract between buyer and seller. If goods aren't as expected then full refund or acceptable settlement is applicable. This is the basis of common law contracts since time dot. Simple.

Packing is a learning process (for some). "Bad" packaging that means the delivered product is not as sold means potential breach of contract, noting that some delivery circumstances are out of the seller's control.

7. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Had the same thing except the seller taped an unbroken roll of coins; of course it's impossible to get that brown sticky tape off without ripping the roll. My unbroken roll of coins became a broken roll of coins. :(

Thank goodness there was no tape on the capsules. :D

PS

When I send coins, I use two types of packaging.

I use a product called "Wrap& Move - It's a flat foam about 1mm thick and about 300mm wide and comes in rolls of 25M. It's available from Bunnings Hardware. I use it to wrap coin rolls, individual coins, numismatic boxed items and bullion bars. Then the item gets bubble wrapped for extra care.

Any boxed numismatic item that is likely to be crushed should be placed in a thick cardboard box that can't crush.

Generally, I try to copy The Perth Mints packaging for their numi and bullion products; imo Perth have the best packaging of any seller. :)

8. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

yeah same as the boxes of 100 ive seen cheap plastic poker chips in the same sort of packaging .Its fine for normal freight but if it hits the deck at some stage it wouldnt survive it real good . The capsules are surprisingly strong though . I had a bit of a landslide one time from on top of the safe & a lot hit the deck when i turned around :eek: & nothing got damaged only a couple of cracked capsules which i thought was amazing considering the weight of what fell .

9. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

I bought a gold coin from a SS member that was described as perfect and in a capsule. It arrived in a plastic sleeve and the coin was scratched. I was offered a refund but the excuses were so poor it was just easier not to have to deal with them again and avoid further problems in the future as it wasnt the first time i had an issue with them.

10. Midnight Man

Midnight Man Member Silver Stacker

I know this is slightly off topic, but I just want to share a quick and easy way of removing adhesive goo off capsules if anyone ever has that problem.

Paper towel, spray on a reasonable amount of Windex, and a slightly smaller amount of WD-40. It removes adhesive off any hard surface (capsule, enamel, powder coat etc) no dramas!

11. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Vinegar works just as well. :)

12. Golden ChipMunk

Well
    I think if we share our experience here, we can avoid more damaged in the future.
    I guess everyone have some sort of damaged.
    Insuficient wrapping, brown or sticky tape over capsules, multiple capsules not bundle together.
    Heavy object like bullion bar must be packed with adequate bubble wrap otherwise will have
    alot of ding and dang.
    Keep the post coming and share your experiences.
    Hopefully we all can learn from this.