Customisable "New Posts" list

Discussion in 'Questions & Comments' started by SilverMark, Sep 16, 2011.

1. SilverMark

SilverMark Member

Might be too difficult, but would it be possible to set it up so that each person has a customisable "Show new posts since last visit" link (ideally separate to the current link)?

I was thinking it may be able to be done where as part of your profile there is a checklist and you select which forum sections you want this "New posts" link to generate the new posts from. That way you can change your list based on your your preferences and market status. For example, I do not care to see anything from the panda forum, and they seem to be a good third at times of the posts that come up each time. Now if I can remove them showing up my new posts list might reduce from say 6 to 4 pages for a visit 2 days from the last. Also if I am currently not looking to buy, I could removethe sales sections from my list until I am ready again. The fact is, this site is growing fast and just in the last 6 months the activity has increased significantly. I want to be able to come on, find and contribute to posts without having waste time sifting through all the other posts I am not interested in at the time. And I'd rather be able to do that without having to look at the new posts in the relevant sections separately.

Thoughts?

2. hills

hills New Member Silver Stacker

if you click on the Index at the top of the page then it shows each of the forums individually with a New Posts link for each so you can then just look at the new posts in whichever forum interests you

3. SilverMark

SilverMark Member

I am well aware of this and that would be what this sentence is referring to...

Alot of us are interested in many sections, but dont want posts from a few sections in particular, some of which have a high number of posting. The idea is that you could click one link or button that will take you to all the new posts in all the sections you are interested in, without all the crap you are not, and avoid having to go through each section which is rather time consuming.

As an example, I am not in the market to buy at the moment, and dont care at all to hear whats going on in the world of overpriced numi pandas, but am interested in all other matters on this site. I would rather not, if possible, trawl through 6 pages of new posts 24 hrs from my last visit just to find something worth reading.

4. hills

hills New Member Silver Stacker

sorry, I missed that point in your opening post

what you are suggesting makes sense and I think it would be a good idea if it was possible to implement.

I could choose not to display the sales threads in order to stop me feeding my purchasing addiction :)

5. SilverMark

SilverMark Member

Yeh nothing worse than seeing good deals when you have no fiat to burn!

The below image is along the lines of what I thought would be possible. From a business standpoint it would be understandable if site sponsors threads cant be hidden, and they are not high volume anyway. Logistically, if there are any new sections added they would be selected as default until a user specifies otherwise. With the rapidly increasing traffic on this site I think a system like this would be ideal, and simple to execute.

Minor banner tweak with added link for a custom new post list, and a checklist stored in your profile from which the link generates the "new posts";
    [​IMG]

6. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Good suggestion, I can look into it, but not immediately.

7. SilverMark

SilverMark Member

no worries :)

8. ToDaMoon

ToDaMoon Active Member Silver Stacker

I agree, this would be a fantastic addition. Basically i use the new posts link, and to be able to stop posts from certain sub forums would be an absolute boon.

Sometimes I can be off for an hour and come back on and two pages of replies and comments have already been made.

Not to say I shouldn't have new experiences, but theer are some sub forums I simply have no interest in participating in.