Current events with high economic implications

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by Ozboy, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

A US circuit court has just decided that it ( the US) is the appropriate place to hear claims of genocide against mining company RioTinto. Rio has been fighting to not have this heard - stemming from it's Bougenville operations. The potential implications are significant to say the least.

2. Irondog

Irondog New Member

Please elaborate on the potential significant implications and what you think this ruling means as it relates to...silver? What article did you just read? Save us the googling and bumbling by posting a link. Why not explicitly state what you're thinking instead of making the rest of us guess and speculate....you're not giving any of us much to work with here...

AFAIK, Bougenville was primarily a copper and gold mine in Papua New Guinea....and I don't see, or understand, the "high economic implications" suggested by the thread's title. Mind sharing the other info you have that suggests this will have major economic implications?

3. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

Hello Irondog. I didn't read the article, it came up on the late night news.
    The implications as I see them are less of a potential significant drop in earnings for the company / shareholders, but , depending on the details of the claim, a forcing of Rio, and by implication, all other major mining companies to change the way they conduct business. The news segment was short on details and it was late, hence my not posting any background info, but I will do some research into this when time permits.
    Best wishes,
    ozboy

4. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker