Crashing someone's auction

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Silverlicious, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

As others have already mentioned, this wasn't a "reverse auction," as the seller erroneously stated..

More like: "Make me a private offer within a certain time-frame. Highest wins if it meets/exceeds an undisclosed minimum."

He probably should have stated upfront what amount he wanted. "Looking for at least $X!"

And if there were 2 or more interested buyers, and he played them off each other (honestly), then what's the big deal?

A potential buyer could easily drop out if the seller told him, "Hey, I've already got one offer so far, and it's more than yours. Are you willing to go any higher?"

Nobody would be forcing anybody to pay more, even if the seller was trying to be dishonest!

Obviously the seller in this case probably could have done a couple minor things differently, but it seems like some commenters are making mountains out of molehills..

2. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I dont know how you americans do it but an undisclosed minimum IS a reserve price.

3. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hell yeah. Plenty of soap-opera quality material:

* Exciting changes in the spot price
    * Constant bitching
    * Smouldering bromances
    * Many (obviously) handsome Sydney stackers to keep the ladies interested
    * Hoons and petrol heads from Victoria to keep the bogans interested
    * Precious metal heists around Brisbane
    * Overseas characters from exotic locales
    * A secretive, all-powerful overlord directing affairs from the shadows in U.S.
    * The overlord's friendly-face in Aus, a stacker who (to keep things interesting) mysteriously shits blocks of polished copper
    * Never-ending vendettas from the Melbourne clan against a one-man super-stacker from Perth
    * Member holidays and the occasional ban (good for season finales... who will they come back as?)
    * Potential for wild-card episodes with aliens, SHTF collapse of civilization, etc
    * Secret vaults and high-tech lairs
    * Deep cover operatives from who knows where
    * Single episode guest spammers doing product placement
    * The slipping in of advanced economic educational material without people realizing
    * Topical, exciting coverage of things such as electric vehicles, global climate change, politics, etc
    * A perpetual village idiot for humour (CJ) with his unrequited love for a particular Sydney stacker
    * One regular character who pops up now and then, and who keeps everyone guessing - will he get a job/keep the job this time?

4. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Chum is the most popular character on Pawn Stars

and I think Sammy fits the village idiot role more so here his predictions are hilarious

5. silversearcher

silversearcher Active Member Silver Stacker

You forgot to include-

* The mystery of the MILK SPOT
    * How to brown nose to become a "ULTIMATE"
    * The day in a life of Weiner & Co
    * Leon's daily charts and predictions
    * Learning tips on how to pick up rubbish off the side of the road and resell on the forum for ridiculous prices.
    * Photographic lessons on how to make a spec of gold look like a boulder for resale.
    * Learn the interplay of Shilldom.
    * Enroll for a silverstacker course on how to be a troll for calling out the truth.

6. SpacePete

OMG, yes!

* The milkspot fairy who sneaks in at night and craps on your coins.

__

7. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

I dont get the "no bids by post" bit? Why cant all auctions on here be transparent if indeed they are legit auctions?

With pm bids in any auction you have to trust the seller is telling the truth about their last high bid and not just price gouging.

Pm bid auctions are a breeding ground for sharks, not to say the OP is a shark but if you truly wanted to sell an item and want to guarantee yourself a minimum on that item then simply start an auction with that minimum being the starting price! Chip does it all the time! and only interested people bid on that item or more usual dont bid which indicates his price is too high for most to bother with,this in turn shows a broader transparency to all members of worth over inflated price.

Pm bids can lead to well over inflating a reasonable item price causing the unwary to purchase same items outside of the auction or even next auction at that falsely inflated price,it can also lead the unwary to ebay thinking they are getting a reasonable deal when they are not because a pm auction op is more than likely also an ebay seller of like items.

Why the secrecy of pm auction for buyer? especially when some who profess their privacy is paramount in one auction then openly bid in many others for like items?

I personally will not bid on an auction that accepts pm bids nor purchase from a seller who professes even with apology to have sold the item via pm offer whilst another is still the high bidder on their open auction for that same item.

There is only Transparency or Cloak & Dagger in precious metal selling and Smart or Gullible in precious metal buying.

8. Gatito Bandito

I'm glad that we agree on that definition.. ;)

9. silversearcher

silversearcher Active Member Silver Stacker

Private bidding is BS. Anyone with any sense should not enter the fray of BS reverse bids. Should be banned not only on this forum but as rule in general. Just a ploy to find a "BAIT PRICE" by unscrupulous sellers. A technique often used to find out what the median price is on a product. I don't agree that any sales threads should be invaded by others. But, in this case maybe "Eggy" may have a case. If you want a reserve price, then SET IT at the beginning of the auction. However, we do live in bullshitty times and this practice is the norm, as BS Artists are in abundance nowadays. This is only the beginning of the BS on the sales forum. You will see more of this activity in the future and it will get worse. Plenty of good honest people on the forum, but things are going astray. Those honest people will gradually move away as the bullshitters gradually take over. Yep, the BS is dairy farm creamy thick in this forum these days.

10. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

Yes I agree. If I see any auction with PM bids I don't participate.

yes that is the point

Then he should have opened another thread to debate the merits of silent auctions by PM

He should not have crapped on the sales thread

11. SpacePete

Deep down, there's a little bit of Hitler in everyone. Its just that some people are less cognizant of their inner demons and the unconscious temptations that sway behavior, which leads to...

Anangeon:
    "Yes, we shouldn't shit in other people's sales threads, but, his auction was BS."

Interestingly, according to one description of anangeon, "Interrogators will encourage and play along with anangeon in order to get a confession. Those who seek to convert people will also use it in confessional practice, typically supplying the reason that the person was corrupted by their environment (and so distancing the convert from their past)."

12. Gatito Bandito

I still fail to see how private/PM bidding is so bad..

Can potential bidders really not take care of their own-selves?? :lol:

Big ol' meanie unscrupulous seller gonna take advantage of them? Please. Give people some credit, here.

True story..

On another forum, part of the Buy/Sell/Trade area does *not* allow comments/replies from others -- only fixed-price & make-an-offer listings permitted. People who make comments would be temporarily *banned*. (And yes, there's a separate "public auctions" area, as well.)

One day I listed something: Here's what $$ amount I'm looking for; grab it, or make an offer.

Within 5 minutes, I had 2 who PM'ed me with their offers, which differed by a few bucks.

PM'ed the lower-offer bidder: Another guy bid higher than you. Are you willing to go any higher?

Yes: Higher offer, final offer.

Went to the other: You just got out-bid. Here's the amount. Willing to beat it?

He did. Winner winner, chicken dinner.

Took like 10 minutes total, from start to finish. Seller happy, buyer happy.

I know, I know, tell me about it. How awful.. :rolleyes:

13. tozak

tozak Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Free Bump

14. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

15. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3 pages long already and no sign of OP since start :rolleyes:

16. SpacePete

He's accepting comments via PM.

17. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Well-Known Member

The sale was finalised with a happy customer. Apparently.

Put your hand up and how much did you pay?

18. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

Not when they may be being ripped off by price gouging from members they think they trust!

There are many new members and even not so new members who are playing catch up with certain silver coins/ bars and even more members who know they want it!

People must realize they cannot trust an avatar and typed words just because they have become familiar through faceless conversation.

Same with a WTB you always get the pm,s saying make me an offer,when you do there is always a higher counter offer even though your first offer was genuine and mostly above the going sales rate on SS! the genuine ones always pm back with their price for you to take or decline.

So in my opinion new members especially cannot take care of their own pm bidding because pm bidding takes care of it for them.

19. scrooged

scrooged New Member

All due respect, but I'm certain you can comprehend the difference between an "grab it, or make an offer" scenario as opposed to an private auction whereby only the auctioneer has a clue what is happening.

Wasn't a question.

CHEERS HAPPY STACKING :))))

20. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

now why start a thread and accept comments thru pm? :rolleyes: