Covered Bonds issued by ANZ - depositors beware !!!!

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by Ronnie 666, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Ronnie 666

Ronnie 666 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What happens when a number of loans (a significant number) default and cannot be replaced. For example the property market falls and coupled with unemployment there are multiple defaults on mortgages which make up most of the bank 'assets'. Then this suddenly reduces the asset pool so that the covered bond is no longer 8% but 20%. Then bank deposits fall by 50% and the covered bond is now suddenly 30%. Please explain how the depositor avoids the silver bullet ?? Please don't tell us that will never happen. As we all know it probably will.

2. hyperinflation

hyperinflation New Member Silver Stacker

If deposits fall by 50% then its a bank run, and then the banks goes bust - not the fault of covered bonds though. The gov guarantee of 250k per account would have to step in to cover depositors.. and if the gov cannot borrow enough money to fund the guarantee, then Australia would already be in a very bad place and the AUD would be worthless.. meaning that the lost savings would be of no use anyway.

3. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Well-Known Member

CBA has issued some.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/markets/covered-bond-auction-a-fizzer-for-cba-20120118-1q59v.html

ends with

4. Nukz

Nukz New Member

Sounds more like MBS as the bonds are a pool of residential mortgages. You gotta ask yourself if Australian property was that good a asset for the banks to hold then why are they trying to sell them to the US and Eurozone.

I believe CBA hold 73% of there total assets in residential property mortgages.... much more than any U.S bank ever did. The other's are much the same.

5. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

its like when the bank promotes fixed mortgage rates, time to go variable

6. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

To raise more capital to lend more so they can make more money. Geez im clever ....just ask me .The day one of the big 4 banks in australia goes bust I'l run down george street in sydney naked . I just cant see it happening in the near future.In ten years time maybe .

Lets face it most people will run to the big 4 if things get tough & that will keep them afloat for a few more years. It will be the smaller credit unions & community banks that go belly up first then you will have plenty of time to get your cash out . IMO

We all have our theories & thats mine im not worried at all about aus banks have you seen the profits they generate for the share holders? any entity thats generating those profits is reasonably safe .

7. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

If any of the 4 major banks go bust, Who get first option on any assets, the shareholders or the depositors???.

Regards Errol43

8. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

actually its the preferrred shareholders who win

9. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Shareholders get last dibs.

I don't know if depositors are first though, the government might be first. Maybe, not sure.

10. Ouch

Ouch Active Member

Possibly in this order (from first to last): creditors/depositors, bondholders, preferred shareholders, shareholders.