Convincing family and friends about PM

Discussion in 'Silver' started by JollyKillBill, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Kawa

Kawa New Member

So how big was your farm?

2. tozak

tozak Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

"was"? haven't lost it yet, well at least won't loose it while Silver stays above AU$24 ;)

It's big enough to feed the family on so that's all that matters to me atm

3. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It was so big that if he started driving at dawn from the barn he wouldn't reach the border the following morning..........

....... Damn that car was unreliable

4. Kawa

Kawa New Member

Nice.

5. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Try some roundabout approaches to get the subject onto PMs. I find gold nuggets are excellent conversation pieces. Straight away they ask how much they are worth. Before you know it you are onto the investment potential of PMs in our current uncertain times.

If you dont have nuggets try talking about the gold rush days and how great it would be to get your hands on a fortune. Then you can work up to your current day stacking.

Im just throwing suggestions around. Giving someone a book to read rarely has the desired effect unless someone has asked you to recommend something. Visual, verbal and tactile stimuli are much better tools I reckon.

Having said all that I dont give any close family or friends money advice. I do tell them what Im doing, what they do is up to them.

6. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So rumour has it!

7. JollyKillBill

JollyKillBill Member

@ Eureka Moments. Yea that i kind of how it started i was showing him some of my different coins/rounds and he asked the price of them and i told him the range of when i bought and he was supprised at how cheap silver is and how dear gold is and that led to us talking for a few hours, then I gave him one of my 3 ASE's which he loves, and constantly looks at and handles (in the coin flip of course)

Agreed, you should never give someone money advice.

8. RMP

RMP New Member

This. I've bought a few copies already. If it sits and collects dust, oh well. You can lead a horse to water...

9. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Had an interesting chat with an ANZ Lady the other day while doing a funds transfer, she frowned at the amount and asked what it was for, I said precious metals she then raised her eyebrows and said that yeah gold has been going up quite a lot lately. I answered back yeah but silver has beaten gold over the last five years and has gone up over 110%. Her eyes just about did poker machine manipulations in her head as she blinked a few times and went quiet for a little while typing away at her keyboard but I could tell she was thinking to herself and calculating things in her head. She looked me in the eye and asked are your sure? I answered back that it was actually over 110% but that she could check any sort of chart if she wanted to know the actual figure and that gold had also risen by nearly the same amount but cost more to buy. You could see her mind whirring away behind her eyes.

Forgot to add that she was squeaking a fixed interest 8% account beforehand.

I can vouch for converting at least two manic ocd stackers who have each in turn converted/infected one other and probably another three moderates as see PM's as savings.

An interesting point on the later (savings) was a M8 who rang me last week whining that he and his missus had just being stung by the ATO for a high interest savings account CGT. He & accountant had split the claimed CGT and on his earnings claiming her as a dependent due to low income. BUNGBOOM not allowed as CGT is payable by each holder of the account. Result pay more tax. Money in bank = fees, tax, prone to dollar devaluation, cant access it without notification, third party risk.

Silver and gold in hand speaks for itself. It's yours .

10. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

Just as well you didn't convince them when it was near $50.
    I nearly did.

11. Richie

Richie New Member

Yep, this is pretty much my experience too.

I've learned over the years that very few people are actually willing to put time and effort into doing anything that involves individual thought or self evaluation. They'll watch mainstream media and run with the masses but won't think for themselves.

I'll keep feeding them with information, but i've come to the conclusion that they will do nothing with it. At least I can say I tried.

To his credit, one bloke did listen and has now put a fair portion of his SMSF into metals. So that's 1 win for the good guys!

12. Gold Kiwi

Gold Kiwi New Member Silver Stacker

I've educated a few family and friends but it's up to them whether they take the next step.

I think my brother bought one ounce of gold and ten ounces of silver, but he just bought his first house, in Auckland (bubble city), despite me advising strongly against it. Face palm.

My parents trust my advice but have limited fiat to invest. They're about to make their second gold purchase.

The one thing I won't ever share with anyone (not even family members) is the size of my stack. It could result in a lot of jealousy if things turn out the way I expect. On the other hand, if the SHTF, I hope to be in a position where I can support my extended family as a result of my wise investment decisions. So in a way I feel like I'm stacking for all of them, even if they don't follow my advice.

13. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Whooo Nelly

14. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

I got angry a few times when tellers asked me what i wanted the money for & realised i was just causing an unneccessary scene. The last few times one asked i responded with " i have to pay my drug dealer so he doesnt trash my house " That usually shuts them up & stifles the conversation making them hit the keyboard double speed while avoiding eye contact . ....... priceless

15. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

i just give 'em my best Clint Eastwood & say " that's none of your business"!

16. mike titanic

mike titanic New Member

My experience with talking to family and friends about PMs hasn't been good.The responses have ranged from a polite chuckle and no thanks to my family members who think I shouldn't stack because they wanted to borrow many thousands of dollars but I didnt have it "but I can waste my money" on buying silver.I havent spoken about it for a few years now.I guess its better that way.The standing joke in my family is that I have a fortune hidden behind a wall in my house.Little do they know there is nothing behind the walls,but I do have some treasure in a hidden place that only my wife knows about.

17. Simba

Simba Member

Interesting reading, my son who is also a member gave me some info which I read and considered and now I am also a stacker. Have watched things go down and up relatively speaking but I know from my KJV that the proverbial WILL hit the fan, we live in interesting times! How useful PM will be when the World Government kicks in remains to be seen, however 'better safe than sorry'. Thanks son.

18. Guest

Guest Guest

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink" is my experience in this arena.

I mostly don't bother now but i've lead all my close family and close friends to the water, only 2 have drunk. Can't do more than that.

19. toto

toto New Member

I don't bother any more because most people just don't want to know. They refuse to even contimplate it, or even discuss it. I don't speak to my brother any more because he got violent with me when I said central banks are buying a shit load of Gold, he flew into a rage and accussed me of being a conspiracy nutter, apparently if it's on the net it's not true. I decided from that night I'm not going to talk to any body about it anymore, they can't deal with it. If you don't look at it, it's not there.

20. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

:lol: WTF?

I'd love to visit one of your family BBQ's! It must be entertaining! :lol: