Consecutive numbered notes

Discussion in 'Banknotes' started by kiona, Jan 5, 2017.

1. kiona

kiona Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi all,

I was just cleaning out an old cupboard and found a stash of money (score! :D ) 5 crisp clean banknotes with consecutive numbering. Where would I go to find out if they are worth anything above face value? Also how to date them?

Many thanks.

2. l***g

l***g Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi!

3. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Pics would help

4. kiona

Sorry, not sure how to upload a photo here... gotta go out for awhile so will try to figure it out tonight.

5. kiona

okay, here's a pic of the 5 notes and the serial numbers

[​IMG]

6. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I will give you $90 each
    but seriously you would struggle to get higher than face on such a high denomination note

7. Acorn

Acorn Well-Known Member

The first two digits of the serial number on a polymer bank note are the year the note was printed at Craigieburn (Northern suburb of Melbourne).

99 = 1999

BTW, back in 1999 a huge number of $100 notes were printed in preparation for the Y2K bug.

In the months leading up to the new year the Reserve Bank engaged Armaguard to distribute large plastic Taper Evident Bags of cash to every bank branch in the country. They were under strict orders not to open the bags unless approval was granted.

This was in preparation for a collapse of electronic banking and a possible run for cash.

Luckily nothing happened and Armaguard was then tasked with retrieving all the TEBs of cash and returning them to the RBA in the weeks following.

Due to the big print run of $100 notes in 1999 none were printed from 2000-2007. As a result you won't find any with 00-07 in the first digits of the serial number.

In about November 2008 the GFC hit. Not only were people taking large amounts of cash out of the bank but huge amounts of AUD$100 notes were sucked out of Australia by the Bank of America via Westpac. As a result, Australia ran out of $100 notes and Craigieburn started printing them again.

I believe the recent claims that there are more $100 notes in circulation than $5 notes is nonsense. There maybe more $100 notes, but most are overseas in foreign bank vaults.

8. kiona

No worries, thanks for your help. I had no idea whether they had any collectable value or not

Thanks Acorn for the date info. Very interesting. Especially regards the bags of money that were prepared for the Y2K bug.

9. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I took some money out to buy a car, had to go to several banks to collect it due to the $3k max.

Picked up $2500 in consecutive last prefix uncirculated $100 notes, from memory they were something like EK 08 or something similar.

McDonald's catalogue value of $175 at the time, I couldn't even get a discount spending them at an ANDA coin and banknote show. Very little demand for them. One banknote dealer took my details in case he ever got a request for them but it has been years and I have never heard back.

I ended up spending them for $100.

If you hold on to them for 20 years you will need to sell them for around $200 just to break even with inflation etc. so I didn't bother.

10. kiona

Thanks Jislizard... yeah a bit disappointing huh. You'd think they'd have some extra value.

Oh well, looks like I have $500 to spend :D

11. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I kept one, you never know :)