Complete nOOb - Need an answer to a very basic question!

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Myles & Myles, Mar 22, 2014.

1. swoydaz

swoydaz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'd add a few more, but yeah ...

2. swoydaz

?

3. swoydaz

+/-1

+1

+1

+1 (Yes, welcome :p)

4. hyphenated

hyphenated Active Member

OK - a little jargon - all errors are my own and hopefully due to over-simplification.

People here stack precious metals in small lumps (1 Oz or so) (as it's easier to resell), larger lumps (10 Oz as they are sexier) and large lumps (1 kilo plus). The premium is inversely proportional to size, and varies according to perceived sexiness; and what you buy depends on whether you just want exposure to the metal or like stuff to be easily stackable, prettier, come with a certificate et cetera.

Then there are coins. You have so-called junk silver, which has a percentage of silver content, then bullion coins, then numismatic coins. There is no difference in silver content an value between a 1 Oz Dragon from Perth Mint and a 1 Oz Coloured Snake from a random mint, but there is a premium because of quality, appearance, design, mintage and popularity. Pick a premium percentage (25% perhaps) and only exceed that when you have more experience. Pandas have made some people a lot of money, but the reverse is also true.

In your shoes, start off by picking up low premium silver. This site is a great place to pick things up as people rotate their collections, take a profit, or bail. Check prices against online sites. Don't fret if you miss the deals; there are plenty of people with a direct feed to their trigger-finger.

Keep an eye on the selling topic, and pick up a few low premium lumps (bars) when they come up. Always think in terms of the premium over spot. Remember postage will mess with your figures. Record every purchase, postage and spot price. Then a few bullion coins. Pick one you like. It could be because it comes in a capsule, has an interesting design, varies by year, is from a premium supplier, has rarity, or none of the above. Don't follow the herd - popularity will change over time - in fact it may be better to deliberately pick unpopular items.

If you want to make a regular investment, tailor the things you buy accordingly. Not much point in purchasing Sovereigns if you want to spend $100.

It is always more efficient to save postage by making a substantial order, unless you have a smoking-hot dealer next door.

Work out where to stash your collection.

More importantly - have fun!

5. XB

XB Active Member Silver Stacker

hyphenated that is the best advice post I've seen in a long time!

My nomination for post of the year.

6. Gucci

Gucci New Member

I classify a big investor as someone buys in bulk. Usually 100oz+ at once or someone who may not buy in bulk but has saved up more than 1000oz+ in silver. {Or someone who buys the amount of silver needed in order to get the maximum discount.)

Here an example of a bulk purchase i did. It's not really how much you spend but how much you buy. (Yes this entire purchase has brought in about a 30% gain per coin.)>

[​IMG]

7. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

How? APMEX are selling them for $237.90

8. Gucci

Gucci New Member

O Never mind. I guess they made more stock. They had sold out back in the end of January and Apmex was selling them for around $280 but now I see them available again which is good. Somehow they have the 2013's again also. And provident metals just got in 10oz stock a few minutes ago. :D Well JMBullion is still sold out maybe they will get them tomorrow

[​IMG]

9. bloomst

bloomst Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Compared to what APMEX was selling it at $280 before it sold out? How that could explain a 30% gain? I hope you are not an accountant :D

10. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Wow! for someone who didn't know what silver to spend $270 on a couple of months ago, you've certainly come a long way

11. Gucci

Gucci New Member

Probably did my math wrong. I did 232*(.30) - o i mean 3% gain lol I see now. Got 69 + 232.

That was the price after jmbullion and providents had sold out them apmex up there price.

See look here. Around March 1-10th there were selling at 280 so I figure I gain 60-70 dollars per coin until today lol. Something tells me i missed a golden opportunity to sell mines:(

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...RRENCY=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&LH_Complete=1

12. funman1

funman1 New Member

OUCH yeah Provident has them right now for $211.02 when you buy 5 or more.

13. Gucci

Gucci New Member

Think they will go back up after this batch sell out?? I mean if they were $280 then in a year they may be over $300? Or should we go with the ATB? I already preordered some ATB coins just hoping they go over $300 again. I refuse to miss another golden opportunity.

14. Gucci

Gucci New Member

Found it! See when I saw this I figured I made a big gain since I bought mine at $232 each but I didn't know they were making more in the future.

[​IMG]

15. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

and yet you threw $46.5k at 1 type of coin?
    You should look into pandas if you have that kind of dosh to gamble with.

16. Gucci

Gucci New Member

No, lol. This was just one of many purchases I made. Of course I already know this coin will bring in a massive amount of money in the future. I just thought when I seen $280 that the "GAINZZZ" came faster than expected:D Besides it's a lunar coin and I have a ton of the 1oz horses which has doubled in value. But I'm waiting a few years before I make any selling moves with it. I only sell the coins that I don't see profit in for example the canadian coins. I liked the reverse proof's but mine came with milk spots and suddenly the profit I thought they might have made in the future when to $0 and a refund. Besides the coin description didn't say milk spots. :lol:

17. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

Hmm, best of luck to you mate, and I do mean that.

however with statements like this:
    I don't think you understand the coin market enough to be so heavily invested in it, or at least, it doesn't come across as such.

18. Gucci

Gucci New Member

No, I don't lol. I'm just a young kid who simply buy and resell and use the profit to buy more. I'm a flipper!:D Now yes I did happen to flip my way into big investments. But for me this is just another investment like stocks. I'm mainly here to buy whatever I think I can make more off of which is why I ask crazy question on the forums. Lunar, panada, and gold is always a win in my book.

19. Bobby Woodlawn

Bobby Woodlawn New Member

I knew I couldn't be the only one who keeps an excel. Could you put up a template of what you track.
    Not looking for the content, just the layout. I would like to know if I am on the right track... -bw

20. funman1

funman1 New Member

I'm by no means a definitive source since I just started stacking last year.
    I saw a really sweet excel file that someone sells, but it was like $20 for the file.
    So I started my own...
    I have 2 tabs one for Buying and one for Selling.
    The pic number refers the the picture numbers I have.
    I have a folder of pictures for each round I buy.
    To the pictures are number 0001A.jpg and 0001B.jpg so I have a pic of each side.
    Why do I do that?
    Because in 10 years from now I will have no clue what this round was called in my excel file hahaha
    [​IMG]

Buying
    [​IMG]

Selling
    [​IMG]