Collecting 1oz, 5oz or 12 oz silver panda proofs

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by topstock, Jan 8, 2012.

1. topstock

topstock New Member

Hi all,

I was thinking about collecting panda proof silver, but not sure which year and size to aim for.

I know 12oz have lower mintage but not sure about their popularity.

On the other hand 5oz in certain years are low mintage too such as the 1995 proof with 1500 reported mintage.

Or the 1oz version which are more affordable.

I was thinking about buying some popular and low mintage proof to set aside one day for my children. Not sure which one would be best return on investment in the long term.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Hi,

Badon addresses this issue in his latest article, see my post here: http://forums.silverstackers.com/message-275404.html#p275404

For numismatics all you need is two strong bidders to realize the good price, I think both the 5oz and the 1oz have merits although I would prefer the 1oz because it is more affordable and you may get multiple strong bidders instead of just two.

Also, as the price of MCC goes up, less and less people will be able to afford 5oz and above whereas the 1oz will still be reachable imo.

I have bought some MCC I plan to set aside for 20 years+.

Can't advise you of best return but I think any of them would net a decent return in that long of a timeframe.

Personally I think anything pre-2000 is good buying right now if you are looking at short term.

Basically aim for anything that is rare, super rare, preferably graded and isn't too hard to sell if required (ie. not 5oz Gold panda or 1kg Gold Panda).

3. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

I agree this is a case of rarity perhaps not winning to popularity/demand

I would tend to go with the 1oz as well. The main reason is there is more people potentially collecting 1oz Pandas. There are 28 coins in this series. Plus they are not made after 1999 that I can see, all the other commemorative ones are BU. So instead of expanding it should only be retracting as no new issues are coming on the market.

I also think the 5oz would be more popular than 12oz again due to the fact they have a little more of them in the series. 12oz while rare may not have demand but you never know.

A lot of research needed. Then make a decision and just go for it.

4. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yep, I agree with what Fish and Austacker have said...

That being said... I sometimes like to go with the rarity model in regards to 5oz, 12oz, Munichs, etc.

Plus, the 5oz, 12oz and Munichs look really really cool! :)

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/675_img_3122.jpeg][​IMG][/imgz][imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/675_img_3121.jpeg][​IMG][/imgz][imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/675_img_3120.jpeg][​IMG][/imgz][imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/675_img_3197.jpeg][​IMG][/imgz][imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/675_img_3118.jpeg][​IMG][/imgz]

5. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

1987 5oz Proof 6th Int Coin Expo Hong Kong
    Total Silver Rarity # 13
    5oz Series Rarity # 5
    Dollar Ranking # 18

1990 12oz Proof Silver Panda
    Total Silver Rarity #24
    12oz Series Rarity 6 (negligible due to similar mintages)
    Dollar Ranking # 12

That is enough figures for now, I will let you all DYODD from here :)

6. yennus

1987 HK Expo is a beautiful bear! The picture of HK Harbour is really something! Classical, but nice!

7. topstock

topstock New Member

Thanks for the feedback fellow stackers.

Yeah I would tend to agree that 1 oz coins would be considered more liquid due to likelihood of more buyers.

However being asian myself I can probably guess how the chinese mentally is. Which is to aim for the best and rarest coin that you can afford.

China having 1 million millionaires (third only to japan and usa), so I dont think liquidity would be all that big of an issue if the coin is of good quality, rare, popular and in demand.

Anyways, Im going to try to complete my first panda set. I've decided to aim for the 2000 mirror panda set.

Will keep you guys posted with photos when i make my first panda purchase.

Thanks again

8. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

That sounds like some good thinking, always get key dates first, in any series. Look forward to seeing the photos :)

9. yennus

I try, I try... :)

But then I see a BARGAIN and go for that... then I see another BARGAIN... and another... and another...