Coins or bars

Discussion in 'Gold' started by Cornishfarmer, May 16, 2014.

1. Cornishfarmer

Cornishfarmer New Member

Thinking of buying 2 or 3 oz of gold a year for but of a pension. Should I go for 1 oz coins and hope the numismatic value goes up, or go for bars as low over spot as I can get them.

2. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

coins close to spot

no bars or rounds

4. Fusion555

Fusion555 New Member

Bought my first Gold today, looked at everything, coin/bars/rounds
    Cheapest i could find ( 1/10oz) was a 2014 1/10 OZ AUSTRALIA .999 FINE GOLD KANGAROO COIN

So thats what i bought

5. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Don't expect a lot of numismatic appreciation on gold coins. But I would still prefer them over bars for reasons mentioned in numerous prior posts on this board.

6. Nabullion Dynamite

Nabullion Dynamite Active Member

Best thing I have found allows you to buy the old U.S gold around spot. If you have ebay wait until the 4x Ebay bucks days, then go to apmex and search for thier Double Eagles and $10 gold coins. If you factor in the Ebay bucks you can get them really close to melt and still have the numi value. It doesn't work with regular gold Bullion because ebay doesn't allow you to get Ebay bucks on Bullion.

If it is an option I prefere to do this, if not I like to buy generic gold.

7. ScrollLock

ScrollLock New Member Silver Stacker

Absolutely go for low premium numismatic coins, think modern pandas and the lunar series.
    The price above bars/rounds is really quite marginal, but the chance to make a decent amount off the numismatic is quite good.

All you need is that one right buyer or collector, and youre golden(har har).
    Plus coins are a hell of alot sexier than a blob or metal!

8. Revils

Revils Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

All portfolios should be diversified, even sub-portfolios.

9. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

I've been able to get old Mexican gold pesos at or below spot. At .900 gold they are a tough coin with a very nice design and easy recognition. The come as small as 2 pesos and as large as 50. The 2.5 pesos are often a good buy if you look out for them because people think they are 2 pesos and sell them accordingly (a lot cheaper!)

10. Nabullion Dynamite

After reading this I kept my eye out for these pesos. Out of 3 coin shops the cheapest I found was $70 over melt price for a 2 peso coin, it went up from there. Guess my area is no good for those.

11. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

$70 over melt?!? Wow not cool. I got two 2.5 peso coins for $75.50 USD each maybe a month ago. It was a couple bucks under melt at the time. Maybe it is location? If you are across the pond or down under the Mexican stuff might carry a high numi premium?

Unrelated to pesos; I sometimes hate reading posts when someone tells about getting a certain coin or bar super cheap and then when I look for the same one it is expensive. I'm sure it has to do with location or source. So sorry for creating one of those posts.

12. Nabullion Dynamite

Yeah im certain it has everything to do with location. I live in Nevada USA but everything coin seems expensive. I'm sure there are deals to be had, just not on those haha. Was worth to keep an eye out though, I didn't even know those pesos were gold since I'm so new to this, learn something everyday :D

13. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

You're in the US and can't find them cheaper? Wow. I think they might be more popular in FL, CA and TX. APMEX has the 2 pesos and 2.5 pesos on ebay for $76 and $90 respectively. They're tiny coins but I like them. The larger coins (5, 10, 20 and 50 pesos) are all very nice, too. Good luck.

14. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

Bars can be more easily counterfeited.
    Tungsten added into holes.

15. Nabullion Dynamite

Yeah I do the majority of my purchases online for this reason! The coin shops here seem to be fairly harsh on prices and turns me away. I want to shop local but my entire old U.S coin collection that costs me $750 online would have cost me $6000 if I tried to buy everything in these shops, its insane. They must assume everyone that comes in must have lost all thier money gambling and need a quick buck.

16. ego2spare

ego2spare Well-Known Member

only coins. Lunar coins if you Australia. why buy bars when coins have numis value and are very cose to the same price?

17. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

Yeah must be location. I have a decent coin shop near me that deals with higher end rare stuff and they always have fair prices. I collect Knight of Malta coins and the shop sells them for a good price... sometimes even though the price is fair it doesn't mean I can afford it though lol. I'm sure the shops near you offer folks that are hard on their luck for losing their rent money nothing for their coins and then sell those coins high to the folks who win big and want to get something nice with their winnings. Too bad. Grab a few of the gold pesos from APMEX; they have the best prices for them unless you win a good auction online or find someone who can't tell the difference between dos and dos y medio. They are very small but I really like them.