Coin to Fondle

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Elemental, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Elemental

Elemental Active Member Silver Stacker

Hi All

I'm looking for a 1oz 999 or better silver coin to, as the title says, fondle.

Actually, I want a coin that I feel comfortable keeping on me - in my pocket with my wallet and keys etc so obviously I'm not looking for anything numis that needs to be handled with cotton gloves or anything premium that needs to be in a capsule. It will get scratched and I don't really want to be massively out of pocket if it gets lost.

I want a little 'good luck charm' to hold on to. Ideally, I am looking at something minted in 1979 which (as far as I know) rules out ASEs and a few others - .

I've Goggled coins and the year and haven't found anything really right so thought I'd check with the long time stackers.

Any ideas would be great - also a price if you have something to sell.

2. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

If you want to fondle I suggest Sterling coins or less and not 999. They are still pretty shiny and Silver.

3. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've got 1946 Walking Liberty half dollar on my keyring (no, you can have it :p) Same design as the ASE but smaller and lower purity so it's pretty hard wearing.

I remember spannermonkey showing off some stuff he'd had put into bezels by one of his jeweller contacts. Maybe ask if he can get a suitable coin bezel-ed and keyring-ed for you? A round 50c or anything in sterling will be able to withstand the wear and tear of being carried around in your pocket.

4. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've got a 1979 Australian 20c piece you can have for say, 20c, plus $15 postage.

5. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There are plenty of crown sized coins to look at, mostly 50% but some commemoratives will be in sterling.

Most commemoratives are worthless numismatically speaking anyway.

They will wear harder if they are not 999 but I really don't know of any that far back which contained silver.

Mexico 100 Pesos looks nice

Years Minted: 1977-1979
    Composition: 72% Silver
    Diameter: 39 mm
    Weight: 27.78 grams (0.6429 oz of silver)
    Total Mintage: 15,888,000
    Obverse Design: National Arms
    Reverse Design: Bust Design
    Unique Features: Lettered Edge

[​IMG]
    Source: http://typesets.wikidot.com/mexico:100-pesos-1977-1979

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Very hard to go past :

[​IMG]

Sterling silver, large and won't scratch easily.

999 is not good for 'fondling' unless it's in a case. Too soft and will scratch.

That said, if you don't care about protecting coin premium on 999 I like the standard Aussie Kook or ASE.

7. Elemental

This looks interesting - lettered edge is very cool also. I'll hunt around and check out prices.

Keep the ideas coming - I'd prefer something Australian but I can't find anything from that year.

8. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

I second the US Half Dollar Walking Eagle or The Barber Half.. sorry the barber half wasnt around in 1879 nad the seated half dollar is worth a small fortune. .. these old US half dollars feem AWESOME in had.. i just got my dad the Colombus Commermorative Half Dollar for the same reason. Its a fair price around $20 for an ok one.

Best coin i know of for the purpose, maybe a fake 1930 penny.. i have one on a keyring and i like it as a talking peice.

Really comes down to what your into but the late 70's had junky coins imo exception being South Africa.. maybe a Rand or half crown from SA?

1for1

9. fantuzzi

fantuzzi Member Silver Stacker

My 'fondler' is a scratched and dinged (my bad) '12 Kooka.
    There was a similar thread around earlier this year, I can't find it now maybe it was in the old GD.
    Goldpelican please rescue that thread from the archives!

10. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

1966 50 cent piece. Just the right size - and it does create interest whenever it is shown.

11. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I often carry a gold nugget with me. If you want to interest anyone in PMs try waving some nuggets in front of them. A lot more "wow factor" than a secondhand coin and a great way to broach the PM subject with people.

Also excellent for contemplating universal origins and general fondling. They do not tarnish and can be easily cleaned if touched by greasy hands in a mix of salt and vinegar. Nuggets can be handled or shown to others as often as you like and they will not devalue.

12. Elemental

Cheers for all the input - don't really want to use it as a talking point or have it on my keyring. Just something for me to have and play around with. Found a few good things that fit the bill on eBay after searching for Mexican coins

I'll probably bid on these 2 if the price stays decent

And something different that appeals as I am a West Aussie

13. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Good luck, any of them would be decent.

I have an old russian coin which I had in my pocket at some stage, can't seem to find it at the moment but it was crown sized but pretty worn.

About the right size to walk along my knuckles.