Coin series

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by metalzzz, Sep 6, 2011.

1. metalzzz

metalzzz Well-Known Member

Hi guys I'm new in these circles but eager to learn. I started buying bars and have just bought my first lot of coins. Made the mistake of buying kooks instead of dragons. Just wanted to know firstly how many more coins/years left in the lunar series and if there is any new perth mint bullion coin series upcoming as I want to start collecting a new series from the start

Cheers

2. Elemental

Elemental Active Member Silver Stacker

Lunar series goes for 12 years - this is the second incarnation from the perth mint. The lunar series 1 started in 1999 for the silver versions and finished up in 2007 (they minted the final 3 coins in the same year - 2007). So far we have had the Mouse, Ox, Tiger, Rabbit and Dragon in the second series - that means 7 left (finishing up in 2019). Next year will be the Snake and after that the horse - along with the dragon these are generally the most popular three coins of any lunar series.

The mint is always releasing new series of proof coins that can be collected - these are pricey (usually around $110 per oz coin). If you are looking to collect a new bullion series I think you are probably out of luck. As far as I know the mint won't be running any other bullion series but I'm not 100% sure about this.

Good luck and good stacking!

3. metalzzz

Ok great looks like it's not too far in to chase the first lot from series 2 then. So dirty with myself for not getting dragons. I had no idea! O well

4. Slam

Slam Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Welcome to the board.

I believe even if you knew to get dragons, the 1oz were hard to get. You simply had to order from the Mint direct and it was limited to 20 per person.

Slam

5. Au.Ag.Mzch

Au.Ag.Mzch New Member

I don't think you've really made a mistake with buying kooks. The kookas have a limited mintage of 500,000 1oz coins so there is a small premium on them when compared to the koalas, ASEs and Maples which are all unlimited.

6. metalzzz

i guess so...hey i've got 15 coins on the way so its a plus whatever animal is on them. i'll know the desirable ones to chase next time! thanks for your help guys.
    Any advise on Royal Australian Mint coins? what are the golden ones there

7. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

the Carded Kangaroos are the best bang for your buck from the RAM

1for1

8. hills

hills New Member Silver Stacker

9. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The best maybe but not that great a bargain. The old ones were reasonably priced but I think the new ones had a pretty hefty premium on them, just been to the website and I must be misreading it because it looks like $87 a pop and that can't be right! Anyway the older ones look nicer in my opinion but they are aimed more at the numismatist than the stackers. I guess it is all down to the individual, I have a few Roos but I haven't paid more than $52 for them and I bought them very recently.