Coin ID's - Westminster Collection?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by K22, Jul 1, 2013.

1. K22

K22 New Member

So I took a gamble on this one and bought these from fleabay:

[​IMG]

The seller listed two lots knowing nothing about them as they were inherited from his late grandfather; he listed the other set (already sold) as .925, only as it said so in the COA's! I have no reason to suspect that these coins are not from the Westminster Collection given the other half had their COA's present. Fortunately, barring the odd exception, Westminster don't sell CuNi coins so that's positive number one. Positive number two IMO is I feel it unlikely his grandfather would have had a full set of .925's along with a collection of copies which he'd decided to put into Westminster Sleeves/Capsules.

Now of course having bought these I'm committed, but I'm eager to know if they're real or not. I'd be very interested to know if anyone with more experience can make anything out other than the single Queens head I can see! I know there's not much to work with but it's the original image size; I have requested more, but thought it worth the punt without them as there were others viewing and they were relatively cheap. There's a 50 Pence in there, one up one in from bottom left for scale. Also worth noting that they sell coins from around the world, so there could very well be something you recognize there if you look hard enough! The suspense is killing me! :D

Thanks all, K22

2. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

You need to wait and see precisely what you have bought then ask again after provididing full details of each coin.
    In the meantime take the total weight, assume sterling silver, calculate the actual silver content and compare to spot. On the assumption there is nothing special about any of these coins then if you paid less than 10% over spot you will have done reasonably okay.

3. K22

K22 New Member

All very serious Photonaware! This way is so much more fun :D

I'm guessing they're mostly 5 coins @ 28.28g given the size of the 50p there and perhaps a couple of 1 coins or 20p's... what says you? Given they were an old boys I'm really hoping for some of the older, more collectible coins in amongst them, but as you say, I'll "need to wait and see"! You think they're real?

If Spot + 10% is "reasonably okay", I'd like to know where you're buying your coins from... I wouldn't mind paying Spot + 10% for a few Kooks! I paid the equivalent of 11 each for these, which if they're real is a price I'm happy with; if I was so inclined I could flip them and likely double that, but then that's not why i bought them is it ;)

As with all of the collectible stuff, the weight doesn't hold too much... well... weight. The silver 50 Pences I've seen start at around 1oz spot and go way, way higher, depending on the coin. The actual silver content doesn't appear to play too much a part in the price when the coin in question is collectible, unless ofc you're selling to a dealer. But hey, these aren't for sale right now anyway!

4. K22

K22 New Member

Just had a look at this pic on the ipad and the detail is so much clearer... The coin in the square capsule is with 99% certainty a 1994 Kook, and the coin to the immediate right of the 50 Pence is a 1992 Solomon Islands Coronation Anniversary :D Looks like there might be a few nice ones in there... Can anyone ID the others?

5. K22

K22 New Member

Thanks for all the help... :rolleyes:

Since yesterday, in addition to the above I've been able to identify:

1994 Bank of Nauru Queen Mother Series $10
    1995 Alderney Queen Mother 95th Birthday 5
    1995 Bailiwick of Guernsey Queen Mother 5 x2
    1995 Marshall Islands Churchill $50
    Western Samoa 10 Tala Silver Proof (Unknown Date)

And there was me thinking you'd have all the answers!

6. K22

K22 New Member

Further to the frosty reception, if anyone's interested in further details/pictures since I now have these to hand, please let me know. I wouldn't want to waste my time if you're not interested :/