Clifford Bennett pro Gold and pro Stocks

Discussion in 'Stocks & Derivatives' started by finicky, Apr 7, 2013.

1. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Clifford Bennett is worth a hearing

He spoke on Peter Switzer's round-up program on business channel tonight, and true to form he was making unequivocal predictions. The old prediction quoted above and posted here late May 2012 was not borne out precisely, but basically was dramatically right I think. Remember there was much gloom about the stock market back then and most had some bearish bias at the least. Not this guy - he was full on bullish, talking about the birth of a 'grand' secular bull market. The chart appended shows how close he was - so far. He was 2 weeks off calling that bottom and the market did in fact rise from around 4000 to 5000 but it took 1.5 months longer to do so than his prediction.

So does he have a view on Gold? While gold might be weak short term, he said it's a buy while below $1600 and he figures it will go over $2000 within a few years.

He thinks the stock markets - I believe he was referring to the US and ASX - are consolidating to go higher for years, not fading out and topping.

He thinks the Euro will be strong because the Europeans, unlike the Americans, have faced their problems and taken remedial action!

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/1893_all_ords_apr_2013.gif][​IMG][/imgz]

2. finicky

Found video that's a month old for anyone interested. No comments on Gold in this one.
    The one I watched on Sunday, which I think was a digest that contained an element of this older one, will probably turn up on this page eventually.
    http://www.switzersuperreport.com.au/video/montgomerys-top-picks/

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZapPGDbcFU[/youtube]

3. jparrie

jparrie Member

The majority of analysts have been bullish on gold stocks for ages. Not one of them has been right.

4. finicky

He's not talking about gold stocks, but the metal and general stocks as represented by the main indices. Without going back over it I think he tipped the ASX200 to reach 5700 this year with a spurt in the second half and possible slump in the middle. I think he's unwaveringly projected a Dow of 20,000 in 2016, and that was a call he first made a few years ago

5. finicky

6. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Just saw Clifford Bennett in person speak for an hour at a business lunch in Melbourne.

Takeaways I jotted down on my phone's text editor:

* Gold price prediction for end of 2013 - $1650 USD
    * Gold price prediction 1-2 years - $2150 USD
    * AUD prediction - back above parity before years end
    * USD prediction - lower over the long term
    * ASX prediction - 5700 by years end
    * "New First World" is Asia and Latin America - look to their performance, not Wall St, as the US will not regain #1 position again
    * EZ will be more resilient than expected - Greece won't leave, as no-one wants a Russian naval base there :)
    * US recovery is real, as there was still an increase in GDP despite sequestration hitting govt and military spending
    * Euro, Yuan and USD are likely to all become reserve currencies - apparently Putin explicitly criticised Bennett in a recent speech for not saying four including the ruble
    * US exports only make up about half of China's export economy, so China is becoming more reliant on Asia, not the US
    * Very bullish on South America from 2014 onwards
    * China is a supply-led economy, not a demand-led economy, so don't let some empty cities on 60 Minutes make you think their economy is doomed - they build schools and hospitals before they need them, not after they need them like the West, and occasionally there will be mistakes
    * "Buy gold for positive reasons" - don't buy it because of QE or inflationary fears, buy it because that's what China and India are doing, and as their populations become more affluent, there will be a groundswell of demand from citizens
    * Gold bull market is not over
    * Finally, we're still in the commodities boom, it's not over

Almost something about the RBA being a complete bunch of numpties :)

7. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

Bloody hell Jim Rogers says Golds goin to 1000 and this guy reckons 2150............what am I supposed to do?

8. jparrie

jparrie Member

Why? Public demand from India and China? Seems unlikely. Tell him he's dreaming.

I agree with this one.

9. finicky

Maybe have a bob each way? Jim Rogers always waffles and never risks a precise call. He affects modesty and says he's a lousy timer and bottom caller. He's probably just hedging his bets and avoiding getting nailed to a failed call. If you do what he says he's doing you'd actually be gradually accumulating because he says he was buying at 1300, will buy more at 1200, and more at 1000, and so on .. bleech
    C Bennett in contrast is a completely reckless maniac prognosticator always putting his reputation on the line.

Calls the RBA the Reverse Bank of Australia.

10. finicky

P.S. ... if the commodities boom isn't over imagine what will happen to those pulverised mining services stocks?
    Not that I'm saying buy them, I wouldn't have a clue what the commodities will do any more - I'm stuck in a few Min Serv companies though: Decmil, Sedgman, Imdex

11. Greenman

Greenman Member Silver Stacker

It will be good to revisit this thread at year's end.

12. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Clifford will be a keynote speaker at this year's Gold Symposium in Sydney in October.

13. finicky

Two relevant articles on this page if you want to take the 21 day free trial

http://www.eurekareport.com.au/contributor/clifford-bennett

Clifford Bennett

US dollar bubble
    12 JULY 2013 Good news for equities, commodities, and the Aussie.

The aggressive play is gold
    5 JULY 2013 The case for buying gold and gold mining stocks.

Also ...

Clifford Bennett Presents at Investorium.tv

Published on Jun 24, 2012
    FINANCE VIDEO: Clifford Bennett, Chief Economist at White Crane Group presents to Sydney Capital Markets at Investorium.tv. He gives a quick overview of the current global macroeconomic status, forecasting a robust economic growth and strong demand for commodities in 2012.

Clifford believes that the "New First World" - Asia and Latin America - has overtaken the "Old First World" - the United States and the Europe - to drive the global economic growth. The United States no longer leads the economic cycle and the US dollar will continue to devalue. He is confident about the outlook of the Australian resource sector and the European fashion sector, as they have markets in the "New First World".

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX-KjKO7Cjs[/youtube]

14. finicky

15. finicky

16. finicky

Clifford Bennett should always come on with some theme music: Good Day Sunshine (Beatles), Lovely Day (Bill Withers), New Morning (Dylan), Feeling Groovy (Paul simon), Eight Miles High ....

He's become more optimistic. China's not in any trouble, Europes out of recession, USA firming, We've begun the second wave of a major upswing in commodities, Synchronized global growth, Dow now to go to 24,000 not 20,000, Bull market to go 10-25 years not 5-15 years (from Mar 2009)

http://switzer.com.au/video/bennett-20130820/

17. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

Reminds me of Abbey Joseph Cohen during the late 90s stock market boom