Cleaning pre-decimal coins found whilst detecting

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by Eureka Moments, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I understand that coins should not be cleaned with such things as dettol and a wire brush, but wish to know if removing dirt deposits using any other method is acceptable. A lot of coins I dig need to be rinsed and rubbed in order to identify the type and year.

Regarding pre-dec silver, any suggestions on the best way of giving them a light clean without ruining any numismatic potential?

2. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Soaking in distilled water to begin with, to soak into and loosen the dirt.

Then rinsing under running water.

Then a bit of soap and running water.

Then see if it worth the effort to try and preserve it or just go for the cloudy ammonia and sodium bicarb.

3. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for that.

I will soak and wash and post pics of anything half decent. Have found loads of water damaged coppers but I might have some ok examples of some early ones. I will put them in some oil and forget about them for a year.

Will be doing the bicarb clean on some worn and common threepence and sixpences for putting into this years xmas puddings.

4. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have a jar of coppers sitting in olive oil in the shed. It has been a few years now, I hope it hasn't gone rancid.

If you do get some decent coppers worth trying to preserve you could try verdigone or one of their other products http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/verdigone/

I have used the stuff, the sample bottle goes a long way, pretty good results but nothing amazing, however my coins probably need less conserving than anything you have pulled out of the ground.