Cleaning milk spots off Canadian Maples

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by SilverMark, Feb 23, 2011.

1. SilverMark

SilverMark Member

Hi all!
    Relatively new to the silver stacking game, and almost all of my bullion is in bars, but the collector in me can't help but gather a nice array of 1oz coins.

I recently got a couple of canadian maples with milk stains on them, and am wondering how you guys have managed to get them clean. I've tried alot of different methods.

lemon juice bath - did nothing
    vinegar, then baking soda - nothing again (brought the old '66s to a nice luster though)
    Cloudy ammonia - minimal effect
    Finally tried the eraser, which got it off, but left very fine scratches (just a different shine really) which I am not super impressed about and won't do the others.

I've looked at the Metal Detecting World page (http://metaldetectingworld.com/cleaning_coin_p16_silver.shtml), and they suggest a 10% ammonia solution. The cloudy ammonia is only 20g/L, or 2%, so that could contribute to poor results. I expect that it would need to be done in a sealed container also, to prevent evaporation of the ammonia, so I will give it another go over the weekend.

Wondering what non-mechanical methods fellow stackers have had success with?

(apologies for the poor lighting)
    [​IMG]

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Bi carb of soda and some hot water or even just the bicarb itself, sprinkle a little on and just give it a good soft rub between your fingers .

3. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Ammonia on the end of a cotton bud and just lightly apply. Watch out for making fine scratches with other more abrasive methods.

4. jozk

jozk Member

I thuoght aluminium foil was invoved.Line a bowl or container with foil place coin on foil cover coin with bi-carb add boiling water,hey presto.Correct me if Im wrong.

5. Golden

Golden Member

This is not a milk spot it's just normal oxidation because somebody was touching this coin with bare hands. Any solution for cleaning silver coins should do the trick. You can buy it in numi shops.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

7. SilverMark

SilverMark Member

I gave that a go auspm, but it does change the shine slightly.

Given that the ammonia bath wasn't successful, I doubt dabbing it on is going to have a positive result

I have seen a vid of that bi-carb, hot water, and foil method and may be worth giving it a try.

8. SilverMark

SilverMark Member

Well, unsuccessful again.

Bi-carb in hot water with aluminum foil failed to remove the marks at all.

Dabbing ammonia also fruitless

I guess maples are destined to be purely stacked bullion, and not admired. shame really

9. Guest

Guest Guest

The Bi-carb method is for removing patina, not milk spots.

I would have thought the eraser method would have worked quite well for you though, I had no problems with the milk spots on mine with that method.

10. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

I got milk spots off my 2011 Wolves by immersing them in Ammonia and then while immersed rubbing with cotton ball.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Did you use the salt as well? I think I read that salt was required for this method.... One other thing Ive read is toothpaste??? dab a bit on and rub with cotton bud.

If it is of real concern to you then why not pop them into a jeweler and have them clean it up for you, Anyone know what causes this ?

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Salt you use with vinegar to clean copper.

It's not used to clean silver.

The bi-carb, hot water & foil method is for removing sulphur oxide from silver (called Patina) and removes it by a chemical reaction that leaves all the silver intact.

13. SilverMark

SilverMark Member

Well on the video you link to, he uses bi-carb to remove milk spots.

As stated at the beginning, the eraser is the only thing I have found to work, but it leaves micro scratches - a different sheen really - which is not that attractive either.

I'll try the cloudy ammonia again over the weekend, in a sealed container for a couple of hours (as the the concentration is low, ~2% solution).

It's not a big issue, I'd be best just adding those to the stack. Just thought someone may have had some success here with chemical methods.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

I've spoken to Drutter about that. He's actually quoting me in that clip for that method (I'm Austacker everywhere except on SS) and he misheard me when we discussed this on PalTalk a while back. I've since discussed this with him, but the original clip is as it stands.

Cleaning silver is something of a specialty of mine ;)

The eraser method requires a very soft eraser to get best effect. Micro scratches are better than milk spots IMHO when looking at this from an asthetic point of view.

But to each their own, eh? ;)

15. SilverMark

SilverMark Member

aaaah I see. Yes i agree, the eraser works and that the result is better than the milk spots. I was just looking for a chem method before settling on the irreversible eraser method. Given that I'm talking to the master though, I dont see any point continuing the fruitless search!

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Oh I wouldn't say I'm a master of anything, I've just picked up a few tricks and tips in my travels and shared them around.

Plus I have a very weird memory for things. I haven't been to high school in 20 years, but can still remember Pi to 15 decimal places.

Silly crap like that which serves as nothing more than cheap party tricks ;)

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Uses salt here as well

How To Make Silver Polishing Dip

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howtos/ht/silverdip.htm

18. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

I just got a batch of dreaded Milky Maples, to clean them I used a soft eraser & a mixture of home brand cloudy ammonia & white toothpaste. It got the spots off in no time without leaving any obvious signs of damage. Under the Loupe there is slight scratching but it's no biggy. They're just a nice stacker coin after all.