Chinese Silver Dollars

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Dave92029, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Dave92029

Dave92029 New Member

While speaking with a friend this AM about my new Chinese Panda collection, he mentioned that his father collects Chinese Silver Dollars, from before The Revolution.

I did a search on eBay, and found many coins listed. The graded coins that are VG30 sell for several hundred dollars.

Can someone assist me to some web sites that have more information about these 100 Yo silver coins?

Thank you

Dave

2. Boyo

Boyo Active Member Silver Stacker

3. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Check out the Chinese Coin Forum or ask low (on here) who is quite experienced in ancient Chinese coins.

4. melon3g

melon3g New Member

I am really impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself? Anyway keep up the excellent quality writing, it's rare to see a nice blog like this one these days..

5. epstein

epstein New Member

6. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Some BIG dollars to be made in Chinese Silver Dollars! Especially for those that have done their homework.

I wanted to try to get into the Chinese Silver Dollars game, but the learning curve is steep...

The Chinese Silver Dollars may be even more rewarding (collection and dollar wise) than the Pandas in the long run. Lots of history in those Chinese Silver Dollars.

7. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

Hello Yennus,

Could you please elaborate on the types of things that a person would need to learn? Why is it "steep"?

Thanks.

PS: Its fascinating to see the dragon design on such old coins.

8. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

9. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

The learning curve is steep because the documentation is VERY sparse, even in Chinese let alone English.

There are also so many varieties out there which makes it very difficult to learn.

Furthermore the fakes out there are everywhere and you need to be an expert to discern between a fake and a legit coin (like serious expert, not as easy fake Pandas imo).

ps. My fav ancient Chinese coin is FATMAN because it has an awesome sounding name

10. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Massive amounts of homework needed when studying Silver Dollars.

Usual things like:
    Popularity, mintage, survival rates, condition, and variations... sounds easy... BUT

It takes a lot of research and maths to work out numbers on all of the above, especially since there are a lot of unknowns and probabilities.

E.g A MS64 1908 General Issue, Kuang Hsu Yuan Pao Silver 7.2 Mace will sell easily for over $5000USD, but a raw (ungraded) coin may sell for just a few hundred USD.
    E.g A raw (ungraded) 1910 Ching Dynasty, Ta Ching Silver Coin will sell for over $25,000USD, whereas a graded coin may sell for just $15,000USD.

11. epstein

epstein New Member

12. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

thunks i went to caravan park high i probly used a CMS due to havin life idfk cause i yet to see my apprnt website u mention but thunks anyway

@yennus n fishball
    the 'reasoning' could also b applied to any white ham coins in english (re: It takes a lot of research and maths to work out numbers on all of the above, especially since there are a lot of unknowns and probabilities. et cetera cetera).. some may even say, obvious is obvious, but nots me :rolleyes:
    'learning curve' is different for all... for some maybe hard for others maybe easy... for example, didn't take me long to troll cause it came 'naturally' but others hav hard time trying and it hard for them

@OP
    If u is okay with learn another language go for gold... i prefer babylon or google just save time or if u rich pay for a russian-english-chinese translator and get bonus wife