China Imperial Palace

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by barsenault, Feb 4, 2015.

1. TasAg

TasAg Active Member

Great medals & have made an order, but it begs the question - why with a low mintage ( 100 ea ) are they available to the western market.
    It would appear the Chinese have no love for these, or am I missing something ?

2. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

There's no real market for them. They're pretty but once the novelty wears off you're left with something very hard to sell at the price you purchased it for - not an appealing prospect.
    Bullion and gold jewelry are much higher priorities than medallions to the Chinese, they are taught and encouraged to invest in PMs - not collect it.

3. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

There's a market for medals, at least in the West.. Granted, it's smaller & a bit slower paced than it is for other items. But it's definitely there.

Along with the lack of awareness/availability/knowledge, I think the price-tag scares some people off. For one of those 300-gram medals, somebody could easily buy at least twice that weight in plain-Jane stuff.. but I can guarantee it wouldn't be anywhere near as cool as the medal.

There's some gorgeous stuff out there in this category. I've been exploring more & more along the way, and might be making a few more purchases one of these days. Wouldn't go too heavily into it, as some people seem to be ( ;) ), but there's some really neat stuff I have my eye on that I don't think I'll be able to pass up & would love to call my own someday.

Novelty wearing off? For the medals in the video??

You're kidding, right? I'd never get sick of those.

Nor do I think I'd ever sell 'em, if they were mine.. Those belong in the lifetime collection!

But, to each his/her own..

4. Aureus

exactly my point. If you visit a Chinese jewelry shop you either see people buying jewelry or people inquiring about items listed by weight and not price.

This kind of stuff isn't worth the real estate in a shops display.

5. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Not trying to insult you Aureus, but apparently you haven't done your homework on Chinese medals. I have another thread on a article that a chinese person name Frank Wang wrote entailed, 'why chinese medals.' I suggest you read that. Frank has done his fair share of home work on medals, seeking out experts from China, and interpreting their articles from Chinese to english. Medals aren't JUST an 'American thing.' Sorry to burst your bubble.
    There is also this http://tinyurl.com/kjdsf4j that gives a lot of great insight into the world of Chinese coins and medals. Do you homework before making a comment like, 'so the medals don't take up the realestate...'
    Chinese medals are some of the most sought after gems in the world, including China, because of their craftsmanship, low mintage, and history. I suggest you do your homework on the Pagoda, Hong Kong Expo series, God of Longevity, God of Weath and War, 1984 ANA Great Wall, Children at Play, and the list goes on and on and on...and the value of those blow away anything the Perth Mint has to offer....not to mention their artistic appeal. Well, I personally don't think the PM holds a candle to the Chinese medals but, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think you speak from ignorance, or in defense of the Perth Mint? That's fine. I speak in defense of the Chinese medals, and I'm a holder of few oz of PM stuff.
    Read up on some of the articles I've provided links to, before trying to scare people away from making an investment into chinese medals. These have already climbed from 550 - 700 in short order. This is a long term investement, and be to appreciated for their beauty and artistic appeal, not a quick flip to make a few bucks. Oh, and those Olympus coins that the Perth Mint hypes up thru their marketing machine, what are they going for? How many minted? How many ounces? I say the reason those are so popular is simply because they have a marketing machine going on world-wide, whereas these Chinese precious gems spread by word of mouth. Because surely those Olympus coins do not hold a candle to the World Heritage series. I know, I know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But time will tell which one increase in value OVER THE LONG-TERM. Best of success to you.

For those interested: http://modern-chinese-numismatic-in...1/huang-ruiyong-olive-is-one-of-pioneers.html

Why Chinese Medals: http://modern-chinese-numismatic-info.blogspot.com/2014/12/why-medals.html

As far as the argument, well, if there are only 100 of these, and 7 billion people in the world, and 1 billion in China, why didn't the Chinese people suck them up. Good question. Yes, the Chinese are taught to hold in bullion. Although it appears that the 2015 Panda is more like a medal than a coin. LOL. But that's not to say there is not a healthy growth in Chinese medals - In China, and around the world. Based on what I read, it will continue to grow. Oh, and as I mentioned, they don't have the marketing machine that the Perth Mint has or the U.S. mint has...so it will take time for these medals to pick up steam.

6. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

That is a really impressive lump of silver

7. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Where's the evidence for such a claim? Additionally, your claim flies in the face of at least 1 Chinese coin and medal expert, Frank Wang, who has written about this.

Markets fluctuate in terms of interest (sentiment) and so what may be true for 3 years ago, may not be true today or in 3 years.

8. Aureus

I don't have any allegiance to the Perth mint, no idea why you think I do. I like the gods of Olympus series if that's what you're getting at? I'm not really seeing anything in this post that disproves what I have seen with my own eyes and what I know to be fact.
    I also don't need to be educated on the Chinese market, fairly knowledgeable on it. I have been to China, I have been to a wedding in China, and therefore, I have been to many Jewelry stores in China.

So you can continue to assume you have me figured out, but just know in doing so i'll be shaking my head.

9. Aureus

Jesus, here we go the incredible duo :rolleyes:

Been to China?

10. barsenault

I have, you? And you have a problem with the duo? We're actually the same person, you didn't know? You walk like a duck, speak like a duck, are a duck = an agent for Perth Mint? Because surely you know not what you speak when it comes to Chinese coins and medals. As I said, it is out of ignorance or in defense of protecting market share of the PM goods. Because surely, your arguement of medals not holding value is pure and utter cow dung.

11. Aureus

might be worth checking you IP addresses out honestly.
    At any rate, would love to continue this conversation but bed time.

12. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I don't have any allegiance to the Perth mint, no idea why you think I do. I like the gods of Olympus series if that's what you're getting at? I'm not really seeing anything in this post that disproves what I have seen with my own eyes and what I know to be fact.
    I also don't need to be educated on the Chinese market, fairly knowledgeable on it. I have been to China, I have been to a wedding in China, and therefore, I have been to many Jewelry stores in China.

So you can continue to assume you have me figured out, but just know in doing so i'll be shaking my head.

Wow have been in China, attending a wedding in China and visiting many jewelry stores in China means knowing the China medal and coin market LOL. You are the man.

Even a Chinese in China who are not in this trade and hobby do not have great knowledge of it but you did. I go Beijing, Shanghai, chengdu and other parts of China few times per year and dare not conclude it BUT you did. You are great

13. barsenault

You should, you might be surprised what you find...missing is my alter-ego. LMAO.

And we should probably check your connections with the Perth Mint mob. LMAO. Go do some reading on Chinese medals when you wake up from your slummber, then engage us on their value. But then again, that would be a waste of time, right? After all, this is a 'stackers' forum,' not a collectors forum. So, we should just quit while we we are ahead. Things of beauty and artistic appeal are for the most part not appreciated for the value they represent by a 'stackers mentality.' Now go do some home work. Night, night.

14. andrewlee10

At this moment, Cheaper than other western 300 gram coin for sure and much lower mintage

15. barsenault

16. andrewlee10

China medal marker market is smaller than China coin. This is one of the reasons lower mintage. Quality control and market strategy are reasons too.

China coin like lunar has scallop shape, round shape, color round shape and fan shape in one oz silver. On top of that it has 1/10, 1/4, 1/2 and 5 oz gold. Big gold of kg too. Bigger sizes silver like 5 oz and kg. all those are highly in demand and much higher mintage than Perth mints humid without intensive international marketing efforts.

As bullion China coin is panda which has 8 mio mintage as compare to few types of Perth mints billion even much lower than it.

Hope this help

17. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Another logical fallacy from Aureus (genetic fallacy)...should I be surprise by that?

Using that same fallacy, one would claim that I also would have to have visited Iraq in order to decide whether Osama bin Laden had close ties with Saddam Hussein or not.

I specifically asked you for good evidence. Act like a half intelligent person for once in this thread and provide good evidence for your claims instead of statements that suffer from logical fallacies.

18. andrewlee10

Visit China as evident LOL.

I hope I visit 126 countries and I become expert of 126 countries of certain things

19. barsenault

Amen, my ater-ego. LOL. Aureus needs to go back to debate class me thinks. He presents arguments without facts to scare people. I present facts with links, articles, and information from experts in the Chinese medals/culture. That dude Aureus really is a laughable character.

20. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

Don't want to be a "lawyer" or "judge" of any body, but soon after debates go into this kind of direction, personal accusations, etc..... this kills my interest in following the debate.

I felt extremely bad when during my holidays similar arguing started in Norfed topic, which avoided for quite long time similar stuff.

Everybody has right to its opinions, but sometimes its better to go out on fresh air before posting a new post and starting a war... I noticed that people on forum feel as they are personally attacked if smbdy say that doesn't like their medal, coin or whatever.