Change Mint Proof sets into Gold Bullion

Discussion in 'Gold' started by jockster, Mar 4, 2011.

1. jockster

jockster New Member

Hi,

I'm new to this game. I have a collection of Canberra Mint Proof sets that I'd like together with some fiat to change into Gold bullion. Any advise on the best way to achieve this?

2. Sickboy1031

Sickboy1031 New Member

melt them

3. jockster

jockster New Member

I believe this could be the only solution - don't look like they've held value real well All those glossy brochures from the mint preying on a young persons ideals! Would hev been better spending the dough on surfboards and sport magazines like everyone else.

4. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Probably the usual suspects will give you a better price if it is numismatics, the crew here generally are bullion only buyers. So unless you want bullion price it will probably not sell here for top dollar. Again though never, say never ?

5. jockster

jockster New Member

Thanks Austacker - are the usual suspects coin dealers? and if so are ther any you could recommend?:)

6. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

No - meant Evil Bay ? Dealers will give you a price so that they can put a margin on as well. They are in business after all.

What is it you have exactly, do not need everything but a few examples may help better understand.

7. jockster

jockster New Member

Annual proof sets of all coin denominations, none for each year I think 1980 to 2003, plus some other odds and sods of Mint proof issues. Didn't want to go through the hassle of ebay if i could avoid - I had a look on ebay - seems like a fair bit of work for small $$.

8. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

post some pics jockster someone might see them & like them

9. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

From what I can tell most are about $50 up until the 96 series then the price jumped over $100+ now these are just ballpark figures averaged from 2011 McDonalds Coin and Banknote book. The 2000 Millenium Celebrations seems to be a fair bit higher priced at about $295, remember also these are only guides. It is the usual saying they are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them.

Considering you have a full set this could command a bit of a premium. You could try a few dealers as a total buy.

Also go over EACH coin if you haven't already and make sure the date matches the set. There have been reports of errors. Good luck sounds like a nice collection.

Just a side note one thing I found out is some of the uncirculated sets held a bigger premium as some years particular currency wasn't issued so the only way to get them was through a UNC coin set. Due to the low mintage of these (compared to normal circulation) the rarity and demand was created.

10. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Sorry double post, I just thought you could try as a consignment to one of the Coin auction houses this may be a market worth exploring. Not sure of sellers premiums though.

11. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

Or take pics and post them on here .
    you will get offers or ballpark figures about value/worth.

you can never go wrong with pics

:)

12. jockster

jockster New Member

Thanks Austacker. I believe I'll just box them up and put them away for the kids at these prices. Better to concentrate on converting the fiat into real stuff. Great to have all you guys here as a resource for we newbies - hey how good's that a Newbie from Newie!