Chairman Mao Badges

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by oziwassabi, Aug 31, 2017.

1. oziwassabi

oziwassabi Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Wasn't sure where to post, but thought this was the best place but anyway...

In the middle of "collections" audit and came across these pins that were given to me by my father in law. I remember he told me that as a child in China (baby boomer generation) they HAD to wear one of these pins whenever they were out in public.. a way of indoctrinating the youth at this time in Chinese history I guess!
    Just wondering if anyone on here collects or has any further info? Anybody interested in more photos? Sizes in this pic range from a 5 cent peice to about a round 50.
    From the "all knowing wiki":
    Chairman Mao badge (Chinese: 毛主席像章; pinyin: Máo zhǔxí xiàngzhāng) is the name given to a type of pin badge displaying an image of Mao Zedong that was ubiquitous in the People's Republic of China during the early period of the Cultural Revolution, from 1966 to 1971. The term is also used for badges associated with Mao that do not actually have a picture of him on them. Chairman Mao badges were, together with the "little red book", one of the most visible and iconic manifestations of the Cult of Mao. It is estimated that several billion Chairman Mao badges were produced during the period of the Cultural Revolution.

2. oziwassabi

oziwassabi Well-Known Member Silver Stacker