Cat lovers and silver stackers

Discussion in 'Silver' started by mmissinglink, May 24, 2013.

1. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Stuffed you say ?

[​IMG]

2. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

That doesn't make sense bordsilver. Recycling does matter ff someone is buying only rounds. Do you realize the devastation and chemicals that is involved in mining? Recycling avoids that entirely.

Besides, if you were to actually follow your own advice ("I target the metal that uses the least amount of our scarce resources and factors of production"), I believe you'd have to be a platinum stacker as this metal of all the most normally stacked PM's uses the least amount of resources.

3. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Recycling uses a lot of energy/resources gathering, transporting, melting, repressing etc. Sometimes it's cheaper, sometimes it isn't. If it's cheaper than virgin then buy that because it is saving scarce resources/factors of production. If it's not cheaper than virgin then don't buy it because it means it is consuming more scarce resources/factors of production. Simple. :)

[Aside: if total demand can't be met from recycled means then the resource saving choice isn't really up to you anyway as the resource saving benefits usually move to the producer/recycler rather than the consumer. This is currently the case with silver so it shouldn't really enter your consumption decision and you certainly shouldn't pay a premium because it is marketed as free-trade, organic, dolphin loving, uranium-free silver high in anti-oxidants. ]

Platinum uses far, far more scarce resources per ounce than silver - that's why it's so expensive. But comparing different metals is not what I'm talking about. You don't compare the energy, labour, capital etc embodied in your milk compared to your shoes because you are buying them for different reasons.

4. markcoinoz

markcoinoz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

5. doomsday surprise

doomsday surprise Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So, I'm scapegoating cats. Who here is advocating the destruction of the human species? I'm not, and I'm also not advocating the destruction of cats worldwide. I AM advocating the eradication of cats in Australia. There's a number of other non native animals in this country I'd advocate wiping out as well. That doesn't mean I think they should be exterminated from this planet.
    Go out to the bush and see the horrible destruction these animals do to our native wildlife. Even in the major population areas cats take a horrible toll on small animals, insects, birds etc. It's not like these 'domesticated' cats even kill for food. They mostly kill instinctually for the sake of it.

6. Kawa

Kawa New Member

I have to say I have a little black pussy that lives in the house.
    I love pussies though couldn't eat a whole one.

7. goanna

goanna Member Silver Stacker

Don't think I could eat one hole either

8. mmissinglink

bondsilver,

You are missing the point. No one here (certainly not me) has ever claimed that it doesn't take energy to create rounds from recycled silver. The point you have consistently failed to understand is that it is more destructive to make rounds from silver ore that needs to be mined than it is from scrap silver (basically what could be called post consumer silver).

As for platinum, you also fail to see the point. Far less platinum needs to be acquired to ascertain the same value in silver for example. That means you need less resources for the same value. Of course, both metals require energy, resources, and toxic chemicals to create into a consumer product....and that's the whole point about recycling as I already noted, you by-pass the entire pre-consumer process.

9. goanna

mmissinglink, you are making a lot of assertions.
    Do you have any pointers to or any empiric evidence to back these assertions.
    It's not enough to say 'or so I believe' as you have done previously.

10. mmissinglink

doomsday,

You most certainly are scapegoating cats...you just fail to see the flaw in your assertion "Cats should be wiped out of Australia". That problem, just like most other problems on earth, are human created. Before human's domestication of wild cats, there was not this problem in Australia. How you fail to see this is beyond me.

Additionally, have you ever heard of the term "human encroachment"? I would strongly encourage you to look it up to further see where arguments like yours are an utter failure when it comes to many of the "problems" we have with other species.

It is for these reasons that I suggested that for you to be logically consistent, you would actually need to first and foremost call for a wiping out of the root of such problems....humans, not to scapegoat the species in the case who are themselves victims of human interference and exploitation (domestication and breeding).

11. mmissinglink

Yes, I have done some research on most everything I argue about.

It is a bit haughty and yet comical though for you to blanketly insinuate that all my arguments are merely my hapless beliefs.

If you want to contend anything I write, PLEASE be very specific in which points you are contesting otherwise I won't take your challenge seriously at all.

Further, I invite you to answer your own questions. Do the research yourself. Learn the process of how silver and platinum are located, mined, extracted from other ores and substances, and so forth and so on until you finally get these metals into a form that you can punch rounds from. Then do the research on how to reclaim and recycle scrap silver for example. Once you do this and you still find that my position is faulty, then please point out PRECISELY in what way that is.

I invite a challenge, but definitely not from someone who just insinuates that everything I write is hapless, unadulterated faith. That's not how I operate.

12. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

I pick up every visiting cat that appears hungry on a regular basis.
    But that's already been long before I had a single ounce silver. And as far as I can remember, cats played no role in my silver purchases. The cats cost me an ounce silver a month on food, the cheapest food to find, at todays prices.
    I hope to need less ounces silver in the future, haha.

13. bordsilver

Not missing anything. The average free market price over a reasonable time frame is the most accurate summation of every scarce resource that goes into the entire process to get the product into your hands (including the steel, labour, plastics etc in the machines that extract, refine, transport etc the chemicals and oil used to operate the machines to extract, refine and transport the silver etc as well as the cost of managing wastes and rehabilitation from all of the processes involved). The free market price summarises everything - especially the true scarcity of everything used in the process to make the final product. Platinum is substantially more expensive per ounce than silver because it is scarcer and requires far more rocks to be mined and processed to obtain marketable materials. This applies to primary as well as recycled products. The nature of free markets and trade between individuals means that whichever production process to make a homogeneous product is cheapest has the minimum use of scarce resources. Simple :)

14. bordsilver

So back to what I originally said, choosing to buy something because it is recycled is irrelevant. If the recycled product is a better use of scarce resources it will automatically be being done in the production chain or it will be cheaper for you to purchase.

15. goanna

Can only argue based on what I've seen. This is your first assertion whereby you've given more than an opinion. It demonstrates a little more as I'd asked.

16. Kawa

Kawa New Member

I have had my black pussy 4 years and never seen her take a shit or piss.

I'm sure it occurs however I'm appreciative that she has become a classy pussy.

17. mmissinglink

You are so wrong it's not even funny.

There are plenty of things not calculated into the final "free" market price. As just one example that comes immediately to mind, what is the amount of resources it takes to clean up toxins from mining operations? You have no clue I will presume. Most of the cost of clean-up is borne on the shoulders of tax payers in the form of municipal or state taxes being diverted to clean-up operations and in the form of medical treatment from the affects of toxins in our water, air, and food. Here just a sampling: https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy...14,d.dmQ&fp=67334dd2004948e6&biw=1152&bih=738

you really ought to reassess your position because it is woefully incompatible with the reality on the ground.

18. mmissinglink

Oh really?

19. mmissinglink

You are just as wrong now as you were the first time you made that claim. Just because you say it over and over won't make it any less untrue.

20. Kawa

Kawa New Member

Snoring noises really loud.

Or is that serious purring.

Is it true that USA have no domestic cats?