CASEY RESEARCH Not Currently Bullish on Platinum...

Discussion in 'Platinum' started by Bunker, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Bunker

Bunker Member

http://www.caseyresearch.com/cdd/industrial-mans-gold

Article Topics:

Supply
    Industrial Demand
    Investment Demand
    Platinum vs. Gold

2. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

I agree 100%, i'll never buy platinum so long as I can buy gold.

Nothing more than an industrial metal, potential for profit but with that comes the risk of losing out big time. Before the last group buy I pointed out the fact that In 2008, the price of platinum dropped from $2252 to $774 per oz - nearly 2/3 of its value gone.

People still bought, knowing full well the immediate future may bring similar pain (or at least I hope they knew/know). It's just dumb investing in my opinion.
    Each to their own I guess, but if you have money to blow you're far better off with Gold.

3. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Well I guess with comments like that the current group buy is sunk :/

2011s are already fetching a premium - the Platypus isn't a bad way to hold it.

4. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

It lacked a bit of tact, sorry about that. I wirte and post without reading back sometimes.
    I certainly suggest buying platinum through here and in platypus form IF you want platinum. I cannot think of a better way to buy the metal.

Just not for me, not after 2008. Gold will always go through hard times better, much better.

5. BlackSheep

BlackSheep Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think several of Mr Caseys conclusions are debatable, in particular point 4. There might be slightly more Pt than Au in the earths crust, but not sitting conveniently shallow to make it easy to get a hold of, nor is it available in as many locations.

I noticed that the Gold/Platinum ratio has turned slightly in favour of Platinum recently (along with the other white metal) - Perhaps not too many sellers were prepared to sell it for less than production cost?

Given that in 2008 the market had a trial run at the bigger game that will probably play out, I wouldn't be suprised if a few lessons were learnt by traders that might have changed their game plan looking ahead. Trading from the 2008 low, a quick look at the charts it seems to me that platinum outperformed both gold and silver in the period from early 2009 to April 2010 - A very nice profit could have been had there, why not again?

Who's to say things won't roll out differently from here?

The Platinum/Gold price ratio recently hit it's all time low in recorded history prior to recently turning towards north again - One way or another we'll get to find out in the next year or two I guess!

I plan to hold the majority of my Platinum a lot longer than a few years though - it's retirement pocket money for boys toys for me! :)