Carsales.com (CAR)

Discussion in 'Stocks & Derivatives' started by finicky, Mar 12, 2015.

1. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I like the long term monthly chart. It's shaping like a high level consolidation pattern following the strong bull run that ended Sept 2013. the monthly ranges are getting shorter (i.e. length of high to low) and the bodies of the candles are getting like George's package after a swim. The volatility is narrowing, as is often the case before a move. Might be months yet though.

This is one of Motley Fool's best buy now tips. Each month they choose a few stocks from their list of recommendations that seem well priced lately.

5 Year Monthly
    [​IMG]

2. Ouch

Ouch Active Member

Oops just saw the announcement of code change :). Carry on

3. finicky

4. finicky

Carsales looking weak on the daily chart now surprisingly. Garry Glover commenting on the t/a of CAR in video linked in prior post said it was an interesting buy prospect below $10. It is $9.44 now. Motley Fool's Scott Philips still promoting it as a prime dividend paying growth company with a "long runway", strong network effect in Australia and trying its thing now in other countries.
    Immediate chart direction not looking good, but might be worth risking a taster soon? Don't know. Not in yet myself. Quite interested.

5. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Not sure about carsales as an investment theres too many free sites now like gumtree & fb sales sites taking their business. If you go through it its mainly dealers listing cars the amount of private sellers has dwindled over the last couple of years. imo it will slowly die as more people use free sites.

If i was buying shares i would be looking for a company with future growth not decline ....jmo

6. finicky

It's a bit of a jump to say carsales is a company in decline because a few people are listing on gumtree. FY15 interim results were a 34% boost in revenue over the previous corresponding Half Year.

Not into cars but just did a simple experiment of doing a search on carsales with specifications: Volkswagon Golf $20,000 - 25,000 Queensland. This returned 63 ads. Same search on gumtree returned zero. When I deleted the minimum of $20,000 I got 3 VW ads in Qld on gumtree and two were far below 20,000.

If buying I would be looking for free on carsales because of the number of choices. If selling I would not be hesitating to pay $65 for a standard 'until sold' ad to reach the most viewers. How is this 'network effect' likely to change when buyers can shop for free? There are probably features on carsales that also make it more potent for selling your car than gumtree and gumtree does cost if you want to keep your ad fresh and prominent in any way.

Carsales share price is not cheap yet though arguably. Although I notice that the community service organization Goldman Sachs has slightly increased its substantial holding it is announced today.

7. renovator

Tell that to the trading post ,unique cars ,just cars that have all sunk in revenue over the last decade because of free sites .There is so many different avenues to sell things these days

I like your example of carsales & the vw golf thanks for helping my arguement . I just bought another car & i found it on gumtree & BOUGHT IT because it was so much cheaper than what was advertised on carsales .Carsales is a good research site its much more car specific in your search with models etc but honestly i think far more cars get sold other places & again imo will grow in number as opposed to carsales which i think will decline. Did u actually look to see how many cars were dealer cars on carsales ? Dealers are actually using carsales for a sales pitch now . I went to a few yards to look at cars & the guy pulls out his phone pulls up carsales & professes "look its the cheapest xx model on the market " lol that happened 3 out of 3 times at 3 different yards hahaha .the best buys are always private

With the new PPSR searches available now you have no problem buying from anyone anywhere anytime .

8. finicky

Don't know about the others, but the Trading Post? Carsales is hardly in a class to be outmoded like the Trading Post. It is new not old and domestic revenue increased 8% last financial year and looks like doing better this year.

I saw a fair sprinkling of private ads amongst the dealer ads on the seven pages that my specific Volkswagon Golf search pulled up.
    You attest to a successful transaction on gumtree, but many more would not be satisfied with a shabby jalopy of doubtful provenance. Some would prefer the reassurance that what they get does not come from some Lebanese gang bebirther. At least the dealers on carsales are in open competition with private sellers.

Anyway the point should be - what evidence is there that carsales is failing as a growth business? Going by the easily accessible financial results - none at all.

9. renovator

shabby jalopy of doubtful provenance & lebanese gang rebirther ? too much msm for u :lol:

Go for it buy some shares & let us know how u go in a few years ...im happy to be proven wrong .

Do you even know what a PPSR search is ? Its a full search of the vehicles history including finance, insurance claims (there goes ur lebo rebirther line) previous odometer readings , stolen vehicle check .written off check.if the car is currently registered etc . I suggest you go to PPSR.com.au & have alook before you think people go out buying cars blindly from abdul the arab which i would be happy to buy a car from after i had the ppsr check emailed to me by the australian government immediately after i fill in the form online . ....thats good enough for me & $39 well spent if you are going to buy a car worth more than a few grand .

10. miniroo

miniroo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

well a year and a bit on and carsales looks like it's been a steady investment, graph is steady up.
    AMP has become a substantial holder today too.