Capital gains on precious metals during periods of high inflation

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Silverperch, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Silverperch

Silverperch New Member

Regarding capital gains, a simple definition would be the difference between the sell price and buy price less expenses. But this definition takes no account for inflation.

During a hyperinflation event, if a transaction was made either through sale or swap for another asset (both considered a capital gains event) then provided I held the assets for more than 12 months, I would be taxed on 50% of the gains. But what if a substantial part of those gains were due to underlying inflation.

Is there any part of the Australian tax law which has provisions for inflation with respect to capital gains ?

2. SilverMark

SilverMark Member

interesting question. I fear the answer is no, but looking forward to seeing if anyone can confirm

3. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

That's the biggest problem with CGT - it doesn't take inflation into account (anymore). The "old" way of calculating CGT used to take inflation into account in Australia, but that only applies to assets acquired before 30 September 1999, and only up to that date (I believe).

I'm not an accountant or financial advisor, so DYODD.

4. null

null Member

Yes, arr... another gift from our "greatest treasurer in the world", halve the CG if held > 1 year, but no adjustment for inflation.

5. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

But what if a substantial part of those gains were due to underlying inflation .

The entire gain will be due to the underlying inflation.

6. bron suchecki

bron suchecki Active Member Silver Stacker

This discusses the issue well, but I'm not so sure about borrowing to buy. It all sounds great but you have to be sure inflation will happen AND you will still have a job to service the debt.

http://danielamerman.com/articles/GoldTaxes1.htm

7. euphoria

euphoria New Member

Don't sell. Sit on it until gold is currency again

What happens with cgt if you exchange an asset though? i.e. dont sell, but exchange it.

8. bron suchecki

Sorry, exchange/barter, ATO will compute the market value of the goods you exchanged the metal for and work out CGT from that.

9. PerthStack

PerthStack Member

Just tell the ATO you actually paid a higher price than you sold it for and then claim a tax freebie. How would they know when you bought it?
    Many here wouldn't have receipts for much of their stacks, so who is to say when it was bought.
    On a connected issue, if any of you stackers out there have a stack at home and don't have receipts for it, just hope the cops never have to visit you for any reason because they will confiscate it if you can't provide a paper trail.

10. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Are you saying if I want to swap my lunar 1 oz gold rabbit with someone who has the lunar 2 version, than I have to pay $1000 capital gain tax?

11. bron suchecki

12. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

It doesn't matter what "tax break" they give, they just take it back some other way. The US tax tables are supposed to be indexed for inflation. Of course, official inflation is usually 1/2 or less of real inflation.

13. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

THAT is why the government and central banks LOVE inflation ... it's what they call a "stealth" tax... If that was not enough, the barstads then introduced what they call a "capital gains" tax - just in case you're intelligent enough to protect yourself against the inflation tax - so now they (government) can steal much of that which would have been stolen by inflation anyway via this illegitimate/immoral new tax - CGT

"Capital Gains" tax is the most repugnant form of theft that the government is using to steal from people.

If it truly was a "capital gain" tax, then it would only be applied to cases when there actually was a capital gain. In its current form, it merely enforces on people the theft resulting from inflation ... and means there is no real way to protect oneself from the thieving bankers and government who PURPOSEFULLY CREATE INFLATION in order to steal from people that for which they have toiled!!

14. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

If this is true then I'm afraid we truly are living in a sorry assed country!
    So now you are guilty until proven innocent???!!! no paper trail means that the goods must be stolen/illegal??
    no requirement by state to prove this beyond reasonable doubt???

And you call this a "free" country??

15. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

NSW has an "unexplained wealth" confiscation law. It's intended to be used to take harbourside mansions and Ferraris off people that the police KNOW are drug lords etc but can't secure a conviction against - they can instead ask you to justify how you bought your $5m house on the dole etc.

Soooooooooo open to abuse in the wrong hands.

16. bsides

bsides Active Member Silver Stacker

yes when you swap/dispose of the lunar 1 oz gold rabbit, that is a CGT event.

17. bsides

bsides Active Member Silver Stacker

yes always keep your paper trail. otherwise how can you prove the stack is legitimate and paid for with after tax dollars?

18. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

I think thats the whole point - one should not have to PROVE anything to anybody - especially the thieving government!
    Thats what the presumption of innocence is all about and the requirement by the state to PROVE that somebody is guilty of an offence.
    Its NOT supposed to work the other way around - that you are guilty by default unless you can prove yourself to be innocent...

But i guess the sheeple have been so brainwashed in this country that the police state can now walk all over people without even a peep...
    pathetic

19. SilverSale

SilverSale Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Ron Paul is at this very moment trying to introduce the Freedom Currency Act (or similar name) which will, if enacted, allow gold coins to be traded without CGT in the US. Just need to hope Australia does something similar.

20. MelbBrad

MelbBrad New Member

Free country, my a&@$....