Cant even sell 1oz gold coin for $25 !!

Discussion in 'Gold' started by chances, Nov 7, 2012.

1. chances

chances Member

Pretty new here so not sure how many people have seen this video... I was amazed !!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndshbH3qZ6Y[/youtube]

2. Dogmatix

Dogmatix Active Member

Welcome new member! :)

It has been posted twice, both on the 29th May this year:

http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-27033-gold-good-for-shtf.html

http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-27034-selling-1-oz-gold-coin-for-25.html

A tip that most people here (including myself) probably don't use:
    There's a Search function at the top. If you put in the youtube string (in this case "ndshbH3qZ6Y") in the search field, you can easily find identical videos that have been posted.

But yes, it sure is crazy how uninformed people are. No-doubt he wouldn't have gone through with the sale, but these people clearly had no idea :)

3. chances

chances Member

NOooooo!!

Im really bad for telling people to go searching when they double post stuff haha. I was just too excited when I seen it.
    Good point with searching for the youtube ID number thing - ill def use that next time I see a crazy vid like that.

Cheers :)

4. phynixbullion

phynixbullion Member

F@#$in unbelievable

5. Emanance

Emanance Guest

Great post chances, must of missed this the last times it was posted.

6. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

If he wants to try and sell in my street I can't wait.

This only goes to show how many people are unaware of the price of gold but possibly that no-one would trust a street seller in any event.

7. Auspm

Auspm New Member

Very believable.

Not just from the perspective of the ignorance of people concerning the value of gold, but because people are cycnical some asshole with a mic on the street wants to sell them gold.

Put another way - if some idiot with a mic and camera on the street came and offering you a 1oz gold coin for $25, would you take it? Just like if he was offering you a $25 Rolex watch maybe?

How many people said 'hell yeah' in the above sequence, but didn't make the final cut?

Call my cynical, but Mark's stunt above was sensationalist and not really that representative.

Without a doubt he's right on the underlying principle (that the population are largely ignorant), but the process involved here was questionable.

I damn well know Gold's value as any of you do, but I'd be *very* cynical too if approached in the street like this with such a buy offer.

8. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

As with Aus's comments, to trust any dude in the street without having an option to check them would make you a fool.
    But, if i was near a jeweller's shop then i'd definately take him up on the offer after weighing the coin.

9. long88

long88 Member

when there is no demand for the product, doesnt matter how cheap the "stuff" is, no one is going to put any value of money on it.

it is proven time to time.

10. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

In all honesty I suspect most of those people would have rejected other items too. Such as iphone, ipad, $1000 in cash, or some other item. They were put on the spot, and most people's instinct in that situation is to be suspicious.

Had he put the same coin on 3bay with a buy-it-now price of $50 it would be gone in a few minutes.

More than anything this video reflection of how society reacts to crazy people making too good to be true deals with a camera pointed in their face.

How many here would reject a coin offered by a stranger in the street, for a fraction of its genuine value. Maybe some would do the deal if they could tell the coin was genuine. But if it was a coin you'd never seen before, would you still do the deal?

11. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

The other issue is that he was standing just outside the jewelry/coin shop. You'd never know if they were working together to sell dodgy stuff.

12. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

for $20 id take the gamble -- hell he even tried to trade it for a bottle of juice.

If you watch his other videos where he asks people what the price of gold is ( and if they got it correct they got the coin ) no one knew. Some one even guessed 39cents / oz

lol

though I would say taht it has changed a bit now with thos reality shows on TV about gold mining and shows like pawn stars and auction hunters where there are gold / silver coins on them occasioanly.

13. Auspm

Auspm New Member

Yeah, I strongly smelled a set up there.

I reckon he might have gotten one or two in the right ballpark and then backed out on some technicality (it was a joke I tells ya!) and it never made it to the final cut for everyone to point and laugh at.

Look, I like Mark's fundamental message and the effort he's going to trying to wake people up - but far too much of his vids are more about lambasting and ridiculing the ignorance than trying to bring people into the picture.

He's clearly beyond having patience on the issue (I can relate to that), but I don't think his method of education really is helping the cause much, do you?

14. greyman68

greyman68 New Member

I tried a similar test at my work with a one ounce Silver Maple Leaf, offered it to 20 people for face value of 5 dollars, no one wanted it. I work in a Gold Mine, thought workers here would understand the value of precious metals, most think I am crazy when I tell them to buy precious metals. Most here are more worried about the price of beer and cigarettes and the AFL.

15. smokymcpot

smokymcpot New Member

Well, if it was fake, I'd rather take the risk and burn $25 rather than losing $1700

16. honey stacker

honey stacker New Member Silver Stacker

It would be funny to see what he could get people to do for a benjamin,

Is that Mitt Romney at 7:38?

17. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

I wonder how many people would have actually brought it that he had to tell to f off when they said yeah I'll buy it that didn't make it onto the video

18. honey stacker

honey stacker New Member Silver Stacker

^^I wondered that too

19. davo0192

davo0192 New Member

if that was me i'll go hang on i'll grab the gold test kit from me bag and after me analysis then i'll either get it ;)

20. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

I guess people are also annoyed by being interviewed and they're not really giving attention at the gold coin!
    Plus: there are lots of swindlers, scammers who approach people on the streets trying to sell Rolexes, gold bracelets and other stuff... so we have a natural reaction to reject suspect offers...

Of course, this is just an interview.

Anyway, I think people have no idea regarding the worth of such a coin. Too bad for them!