Can they take legal tender bullion coins away from you?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Guest, May 16, 2011.

1. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My education was free but you get what you pay for!

My further education was self funded.

Now my taxes are going towards teaching other people's children so they can come along and steal my job when I get older!

They also go towards buses I don't use. I would rather pay less tax which just gets given away to random strangers. If I need a service I will pay full price for it, not a government subsidised service.

I love council workmen and they are entitled to a break just as much as anyone else is, I am sure they work hard in jobs that I wouldn't want to do. But I am also pretty sure that if they were working for their own company they wouldn't be sittig around as much as they seem to be and there wouldn't be quite so many staring at a hole in the ground, they probably wouldn't pay someone to hold a Stop/Go sign at either end of a road if they had to pay for it out of their own pocket.

Disclaimer: I work for the government so when I talk about unproductive workers who wouldn't survive in the real world I know what I am speaking about! I also come from the UK where there is a different work ethic so please feel free to ignore my ramblings.

Anyway, back on topic.

I aim to get out of Silver and Gold long before it ever gets to a state when the government would even consider taking it. Probably put it into the dreaded Investment Properties, it is a lot harder to steal them, though of course, taxing the income from them and sale prices will achieve pretty much the same effect!

Might as well convert them all to wine, women and song and enjoy them to the full

2. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

+1000

Couldn't have said it better myself mate

3. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

I agree with everything you said except the last part about investment properties. Properties are the easiest asset class for the government to steal from you !
    Property taxes have long been the milk cow par excellence of various governments.

4. hyperinflation

hyperinflation New Member Silver Stacker

Not to mention the nationalization of private property en masse (see post WWII eastern Europe for a good example). You can't hide a house... very easy to hide gold.

5. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

Another way to look at is that maybe it is necessary for the government to create all these jobs to keep the unemployment level to a reasonably low rate. Do we really think it's necessary for so many people to work so much with all the productivity improvements? Maybe that's why we pay people to dig holes and fill them back in? With such a mindless job I probably wouldn't be too enthusiastic either. In fact, when I've contracted out to the Public Sector I see that a lot. Very dull, beuracratic "work" that is mostly unnecessary, but, I tend to think, designed to keep most people working when less and less people are required to make all the things we need and want. Maybe it is just keeping society (which is constantly in flux) reasonably balanced and stable.

After all when there is a shortage of jobs what does everybody say? Why doesn't the govt do something? The govt is always saying it is trying to create jobs for people to keep them in work. It's usually very vague though when they talk about it. How did people think they do it? Any amount of jobs can be "created". Whether they are worthwhile or not is another matter...

6. Aust-Tech

Aust-Tech New Member

Short answer....Yes

Long Answer..Legal tender is the property of the issuing country that is displayed on the currency. In Australia, the creation of legal tender, in the form of notes and base metal coins, is the exclusive right of the Commonwealth Government. Coins and banknotes may cease to be legal tender if new notes of the same currency substitute them or if a new currency is introduced replacing the former one. Individual coins or banknotes may be demonetised and cease to be legal tender. Banknotes and coins may be withdrawn from circulation, but remain legal tender.

Then again, they could always say the bullion coins are "proceeds of crime" and confiscate them (if they can find them...lol)

I am open to correction. :D