Can Milk spots spread from Capsule to Capsule?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by SilverArbor, Jan 22, 2018.

1. SilverArbor

SilverArbor New Member

Hey guys!
    I'm new to the forum and silver stacking. I'm been stacking for a whole year now. I was wondering if you have a milk spot on one coin in a capsule, can it spread to another coin in a capsule in the same storage tube. If any of that makes sense. Thank you for the feed back!

2. whay

whay Well-Known Member

Milk spot is not a infection disease but a inherent genetic defect courtesy of poor mint production standard.
    Even slabbed coins are not spared from this disease.

3. SilverArbor

SilverArbor New Member

Awesome thank you for the help! I was worried about my coins that don't have milk spots and I want to do my best to prevent them. It feels better knowing they won't spread.

4. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

I don't think there is any way to prevent milk spots once the coins are minted. Think of milk spots like a genetic disease in a human. Once they are "baked into" the coin at the mint, you can know they will show up one day even though they might not show up right away when you buy them.

I have seen spot free untouched coins develop spots in original mint tubes up to about 4 years after minting (Canadian Maples). It seems to me that if you have a coin that is non spotted and it is over 5 years old, it probably won't develop milk spots later on. This is just my observation so it might be off for other types of coins.

Emma Watson likes this.
  5. SilverArbor

SilverArbor New Member

Thank you! I was doing research on it, but still didn't understand milk spots. So I figured I would join a forum and see if I can find out some information and it's proving most affective. Thank you for the feed back!

6. Ronnie 666

Ronnie 666 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Milk spots are deposits of a silver chloride complex that develop due to light exposure over time. It’s presumed this is a deposit that occurs at the time of manufacture of the planchet. Some think it’s due to a lubricant reacting with the silver other think it’s a detergent ? Whatever it’s poor washing and removal of these products that cause the milk spot. As silver chloride reacts with light it develops over time as a milky mark. There are methods to remove these and methods to prevent these forming. Most are abrasive and destroy the numismatic value of the coin. There are some methods that are not abrasive and do not damage the coin. PCGS have a method to remove spots but they charge a fortune for that service. So only worth while in a rare coin.

7. Ronnie 666

Ronnie 666 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Ask the Perth Mint - they are fixing the problem “for the last 4 years” yet the quality of their silver Bullion coins is the worst this year that I have ever seen - milk spots only one of the many issues that include scratches, rubbed areas and foreign material trapped in the capsules mostly hair. Poor dogs they are treated like dogs. Don’t waste your time complaining - they don’t care. Much better coins to buy so not an issue for me. Funny gold coins not a problem - they are fine.

House likes this.