Buying Suggestions

Discussion in 'Gold' started by billbob78, Jan 24, 2014.

1. billbob78

billbob78 New Member

Hi All,

I am look at buying some gold, but not sure what is the best way to go when it comes to sizes...
    I am thinking 3 x 1oz bars, or 2 x 50gr bars, or 1 x 100gr bar.
    I will also be picking up a kilo of silver, but for now just wondering what is the best way to go for the gold, as in ease of selling and returns later down the track.

Also how accurate is XRF testing on the larger bars (the 100gr bars) ? If the bar clear the XRF test, is that a 100% garantee. Also I will buying from a mint authorised distributer.

Any suggetsions?

2. screaming eagle

screaming eagle Member Silver Stacker

XRF testing is probably the most accurate, though you could always do an Ultrasonic thickness test as well if you're really worried about genuine bars. Buying from an authorised distributor with a good reputation should be enough.

For ease of selling, most people go for smaller sizes as the market is a little larger. Depends if you want to sell privately or to dealers. I'm new to PM's myself, but have found that if you take a common sense approach you shouldn't get burned.

3. Phiber

Phiber Active Member Silver Stacker

1oz bars/coins would probably be the easiest to resell although any of the sizes you are considering will be very liquid.

4. billbob78

billbob78 New Member

I am keen on coinc, I have a few 1/10oz, my only problem with them is the premium... wont always get it back...

5. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

When it comes to gold I would strongly suggest 1oz coins.

Pandas & lunars are what I would buy.
    If you want stuff close to spot however 1oz Pamp bars are very nice.

6. billbob78

billbob78 New Member

Any difference in selling pamp vs Perth Mint? I have a 50gr Perth Mint, and just looks so much nicer than the pamp.

7. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If you look at the gold to silver ratio you'll see that you may find better value buying only silver.

The current gold to silver ratio is about 1:64 which basically means 64 ounces of silver will buy 1oz of gold at todays spot price.

If you believe gold will break and surpass its high of about 1,895 USD and silver will also break and surpass its high of about $48.70USD you'll notice that perhaps silver is a better proposition.

If I were you I'd buy a couple of Perth Mint kilo bars, a few ten oz bars followed by a mix of lunar horse silver bullion coins (2oz, 5oz and 10oz) ;) :)

DYODD.

H

8. billbob78

billbob78 New Member

Good point made, however when it comes to offloading somewhere down the line, do you think it will be just as easy offloading 1kg of silver or an ounce of gold... not to mention the respect Gold has all over the world... When Silver was $48/oz was it very easy to offload?

9. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Australia day.

10. wellpup

wellpup New Member

One nice thing with coins is that you can "ping" them, i.e. hit them so that they make a pinging sound. There are apps for both Android and iPhone that can tell you if a given coin has the right authentic "ping" (it checks the frequencies).

11. Phiber

But you need to take it out of the capsule for this - not the best if you have semi numis.
    A 1kg bar can be ultrasound tested.
    The best is always to buy from trusted dealers.

12. billbob78

billbob78 New Member

At the moment the only thing holding me back from a huge investment in silver is the weight limit on the safety deposit box... but I do agree that I want to icrease my silver share, and maybe start going for 1 or 2 Kg per month, together with 1 or 2 oz of gold..

13. Phiber

If you're in Aus, you could consider allocated or unallocated programs either from the mint direct or perhaps goldststackers for your silver.
    You also have PMGOLD on the ASX. Only suggesting as you are considering reaching the eight limit on the safe deposit box.
    Some safe deposit boxes provider also have larger bullion safes options.

14. Load of Bullion

Load of Bullion Well-Known Member

15. usabars

usabars New Member

Hi
    I just came across your question,I am a new memmber in this forum ,and I'd like to add some great value to the members here,as for buying your gold ,be sure to always deal with the most reputable dealers online,the BBB,BCA and Trustlink can give you a lot of trust in dealers online,as for liquidity ease,get to know that purity and size play an important role.For instance if you purchase the Credit Suisse Gold bars with their 0.9999 purity in small fractions as the 1 oz or the 10 oz,it will be easy for you to liquidate them whenever you like .Check out here

Edited by ozcopper: Link removed.

16. whinfell

whinfell Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

:rolleyes:

17. PhilDaSilva

PhilDaSilva New Member

For me its UK Sovereigns all the way, easy to test, just weigh an measure dimensions along with comparing to good coins, easy to store or hide around the house even in large quantities. Also tax free where I am, whats not to like when they are recognised allover the world, also easy to slip a few in the pocket change or coin wallet. E2a: also easy to find 2nd hand with no paper trail in the UK too.

As for testing bars, UT test is good as I understand how it works and am familiar with the kit and its relatively cheap to buy basic kit too, the ping test should be similarly good as it works on a similar principle, more specifically resonance frequencies. X-ray florescence is just too expensive right now for me personally as its fairly new consumer level/portable kit.