Buying Gold at these highs?

Discussion in 'Gold' started by CEO10K, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I was a bit hesitant when gold hit$750 and have had to suck it in every $100 rise.Now when it comes to gold it's just buy don't cry

2. A5ano

A5ano New Member

Bought some gold (and silver) today and not regretting it. :)

3. bond007

bond007 New Member

yep, splashed a grand today, fingers crossed ;-)

4. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

If you are unsure - which is kinda understandable since gold has rallied to quickly lately and has surpassed platinum as well - than buy silver.

You gotta buy one of the metals

5. Load of Bullion

Load of Bullion Well-Known Member

1) Just look at a long term gold chart.
    2) There aren't many reasons for gold ( a safe haven) to drop significantly at the moment.
    3) $2000/Au oz now looms.

6. BBQ

BBQ Member

No sir.
    Sitting tight.

7. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

From looking at the charts on Monday (Australian time) before the Europe and US markets opened, I saw that Asia is buying gold and silver. That's good enough for me.

8. MousePad

MousePad New Member

bought some silver last week, bought a little gold this week.

as much as i dont want to spend so much on gold, i think it will be worth it in the long run

9. VANGBAC

VANGBAC Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just out of interest I see the US mint has removed gold collectors Numismatics from sale for repricing. Seems they are thinking prices will stay up. i feel depending on budget buy small and buy regular that way if things tumble it wont rip your heart out. Funny how sentiment changes. I swapped out of a bit of Silver for Gold when it was in the 40 dollar range and am very happy I did. i picked up a couple of grams the other day at a price a little over what i thought it was worth. today its fine.. Even if Gold drops i wont worry just nibble away buying gold and slowly build the silver again. my two cents worth.

10. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have some gold so if it goes up I won't be kicking myself if I don't buy anymore soon.

This doesn't look like a dip to me so I won't be buying any today, silver on the other hand is around the price I would be happy to pick some dragons up at so I will be sending my money their way.

I don't buy gold and silver every day, I maybe buy once a month, if that, and only if I see a bargain come along, pre decimals, numismatics, other collectibles, other investments, food stacking, RE etc. all have a place in my portfolio.

I probably won't buy anything until I get a shot at the dragons regardless of what the spot price of anything is doing.

11. lamp

lamp New Member

I placed my first order of gold (not much only 1 oz) yesterday even the price was very high. I was just thinking since there is no way anyone can be sure whether we are buying at the all time high or not, I got to at some point make a start in gold as this has been one of my plans and I chose to do it yesterday (could be a bad decision). But as I see investing in gold/silver/shares as a long term (5 - 10 years) investment, I would expect myself to sometime buy at peaks or low, but since I'm building up gradually, it probably doesn't matter too much.

12. goldpanner

goldpanner New Member

I was thinking of investing in gold dragons when they come out but what if the gold price is really high at the time - should I buy at any price?
    Will they sell out quickly - I have no prior knowledge of coins like this.

Would a high priced gold dragon hold its value if gold dropped?

13. Auagau

Auagau Active Member

I just did a quick calculation comparing the USA national debt and gold, and for every 1oz of gold there is $2,872 worth of public debt in the global reserve currency.

I'll think about selling when gold price equals the gold backed debt price, but of course the public debt will keep rising...

14. CEO10K

CEO10K New Member

I bit the bullet and bought in at 1750 :)
    Lets hope Im still smiling later this week haha

15. Goldmember

Goldmember Member

Theyre all heading for the safe haven in my book.The shit will hit the fan sooner or later....The world is showing signs of serious shit going on in the markets,i cant see it magically getting better.You can BTFDips if you feel itll happen.I get the feeling the powers that be will knuckle down on the gold price soon and it will drop,as it magically reaches the late 1700s mark....similar to Silver $50 hump.They cant hold it out forever IMHO

Either way im buying as i see fit,bought a couple of coins today....not going apeshit tho

16. Mr Medved

Mr Medved Member

That's rubbish. If you bought at the peak 30 years ago you would have been absolutely hammered. If you bought at 1550 three years ago you are probably still behind a term deposit account.

I don't particularly like buying into strength but am happy to accumulate small amounts on a regular basis in this bull market regardless of the price. The hard part is sourcing inventory at my local dealers! Short-term I don't mind holding a bit of cash to assess buying opportunities in general.

17. thehuckler

thehuckler New Member

I personally couldn't buy at these highs (amid the hype of this rally more accurately) but I would also argue, that for someone who owns no gold, any time is a good time to replace your paper with money.

:)

18. Wout

Wout New Member

When you buy gold you have to think of a few things as to why your buying it..

1. Will the US ever get their fiscal house in order? or just keep printing money? (imo they will never pay off their debt and print money to the moon, inflation will be insane)

2. Could gold ever become currency?

3. will the aussie dollar drop from its recent highs?

4. as a percentage how much of my total assets do i want gold to be?

Theres more but you get the idea. in 2 years i think the price will be alot higher then it is now, at the least it will preserve my wealth so if it goes to $1650 i will buy more

19. BootyBandit

BootyBandit New Member

Its not like America wont do anything to temporarily fix this debt issue therefore there should be a dip coming along, but then its back on the gravy train all the way north

20. Nukz

Nukz New Member

I personally think its not a bad time to buy, with QE3 on the horizon it's going to be great. I'm looking at getting a few more oz next month i only hope Ben hasn't announced QE3 officially by that stage.