Buy Sell & Swap Forum = high prices ?

Discussion in 'Questions & Comments' started by Silver Octopus, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Silver Octopus

Silver Octopus Member

Like most people in here, I keep an eye on the BSS section of the forum fairly often.

There is usually a bargain (IMO) to be found sooner or later, but I've noticed so many FS trades that people are buzzing for items that are equal or more expensive than the RRP on site sponser websites ?

I havent purchased from most of the sponsers, so is there something that Im overlooking? or are buyers not doing any research before buzzing in ? :/

2. Newtosilver

Newtosilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yeah, you need to check prices elsewhere before you buy, some people prefer to buy off people on the forum then do face to face. Some people just buzz and pay more than a site sponsor then realise it is cheaper elsewhere later down the track. Some people prefer to not buy off sponsors but to buy from other people.

Research and then make your own decisions, there are some good buys but on the other hand I have seen a few transactions go to poo here lately.

3. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Most sellers will price their items according to the market at the time as sometimes they'll be chided by other members for putting up overpriced items. When I wanted to sell my PAMPs, I checked all the bullion sites and matched it to the lowest, best way to get a quick sale. Two main reasons I would think for this would be anonymity and building a trade history.

Anonymity would be a good reason for some to buy from here even if they have to pay a little more. Their purchase won't go through a registered dealers business where their records are kept and can be checked over by the Gov whenever they feel like it. To register on some websites you need to give a lot of details, some people aren't happy with this. Prime example is sh*t like this can happen- http://forums.silverstackers.com/to...bsite-notification-and-temporary-closure.html

Building up a trading history here is a good idea if they intend to stick around. It's easier to sell stuff when you have a good history of buying on the site and think that in itself is worth the extra few dollars. With my pretty decent trade history I've found other members put a lot of trust in me and vice versa. I've also developed some good relationships with members here solely on trading with them.

4. Silver Octopus

Silver Octopus Member

Thanks.

The privacy / anonymous premium is what I was over looking.

I'll keep looking for the bargains... :D

5. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

pretty often people sell lots of good stuff which is priced below market value
    nobody forces you to buy everything which is listed for sale ... look around, compare the prices, etc

I have no idea what some sellers think when they list what they have above its price on eBay ... well, may be they think of getting buyers who don't look around )) Saying that you can negotiate with the sellers ...

6. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

My experience when selling was that you price your goods below dealers. Spot drops and dealer prices automatically adjust and you are left high and dry with a comparatively expensive product on which you get numerous lowball offers by those who whinge when you tell them where they can put their offer.

Selling is a sucky thing at the best of times.

7. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not everyone is poor on the forum. If you are looking for a particular coin or bar, does it matter if you pay a few bucks extra to get what you want, usually F2F from a trusted source? No bidding, no electronic transaction, someone to shoot the breeze with.

8. Maggie

Maggie New Member Silver Stacker

It is easy to sit and criticise one or another,

remember there are fees when selling on ebay

and there are fees sponsers pay here to give you the service

that you can choose from, that are trustworthy traders. Just like in any

business there are costs.

Just like everyone I come across prices I want to rant about but I just

walk on by until I find something else.

I think we are lucky to have this forum, Sponsers and the members

on a whole are the best you will find.

9. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

most of the good deals are going between members by pm.if u here long enough,u should know who to contact ;)

u cannot really expect a member to be cheaper than a sponsor or a dealer.only if one is desperate(for any reason). ask yrself,why are you supporting the farmer on the local market instead of the supermarket?(no offense intended to any sponsor or dealer)

10. Argentlust

Argentlust Active Member Silver Stacker

Many members buy from online dealers and then sell to the members
    on forum whether PM or sales thread.

11. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I bought on here last weekend at less than spot inc postage.

Good buys can be made if you keep an eye out fir them.