Burying silver in ground (ground that freezes during winter) questions

Discussion in 'Silver' started by TinPotWizard, Jun 11, 2011.

1. TinPotWizard

TinPotWizard New Member

The silver would be in a small safe buried and put in the ground that can get very cold during winter. Would there be any problems or complications from long storage in these conditions?

Would it be a good idea to have some type of packaging inside the safe as well?

thanks for any answers...... (im not really looking for advice as to whether or not this is a good idea for storage, just whether or not it will negatively affect my silver)

2. TinPotWizard

TinPotWizard New Member

would any moistness get through the safe and onto the silver? if it did, would that negatively affect my silver?

just plain being cold wouldn't do anything???

3. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

If silver freezes it needs to be drop forged back into alignment, luckily if you send it to me I can do that :p

... but srsly silver is already frozen and the only downside I can think if is digging through frozen soil in a hurry is a PITA

4. Ag

Ag Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I couldn't see how...

Saw a UT vid or read an article on a 1000oz bar buried directly into the ground - dug up 10 years later it had 'de laminated',like pages of a book all frayed,but a hose down with a bit of scrubbing looked ok...

Think your biggest fear is water - always hard to make something perfectly water tight for extended periods of time. Will find a way in, then expand during the freeze, likely creating the problem mentioned above...

5. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

I've vac-sacked my silver before - works a treat - no moisture or air inside, just a nice plastic coating.

I'd simply do that, wrap it in a few bin bags and bury away - nothing too much to worry about :D

6. TinPotWizard

TinPotWizard New Member

the water wouldn't cause any actual damage to the silver though would it?

I don't see why i would need to get my silver super fast or anything so i would have no problem letting whatever water got in there melt......

I have some coins though, so was worried they might age more due to storage like this? I really have no idea which is why im asking lol.....

7. TinPotWizard

TinPotWizard New Member

what is vac sacked?

same as wrapping it in plastic wrap?

8. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

I am after a good vac sealer any suggestions??

9. TinPotWizard

TinPotWizard New Member

what about just putting the silver in a plastic bag? (can water get through?)

10. RhythmDoctor

In the UK I used to do this all the time with my stuff - Not precisely sure what brands you can get out here in Australia - but this is what I used back home.

https://www.spacebag.com/15/Default.aspx

You don't need anything special, just wrap your silver in whatever you want to protect it with (chopped up superdry towels or 'bandages' as hiho likes to call them when I post him something) - then after that bang it in the vac bag and use your vacuum cleaner to suck out all the air from the bag.

If this is too difficult, I'm more than happy to do it for you... just post it to my PO Box and I'll return it packaged - Pikey Promise :D

11. TinPotWizard

TinPotWizard New Member

will it hurt anything if their is air left in it? what is the reason for it being air tight?

thanks!

12. RhythmDoctor

Shouldn't hurt anything to be honest TPW - but I would recommend vaccuming it - nothing gets in or out then. Its just safer really.

Those bags I use are meant for storing clothes and linen - they compact it down to nothing because it sucks the air out.

I just feel a vac bag is a good way to store metals as its the safest, nothing to react inside the bag, and no chance of anything permeating the membrane (unless it is pierced by something while underground of course)

I'd get one from your local coles or crazy clarks - some kind of shit shop usually sells em. Try it out and see what you think...

RD

13. TinPotWizard

TinPotWizard New Member

thanks RD

14. RhythmDoctor

Hence the towels Matrix :D

15. pixha

pixha Member

If you're worried about dampness add a couple of satchels of dessicant

16. Rothbard

Rothbard New Member

I wrap rolls of coins in sterile cotton wadding, then into a non lubricated condom, then more cotton wadding then another condom, then more wadding, another condom, more wadding, another condom, more wadding, another condom, more wadding, another condom, a layer of silicon crystals, more wadding, another condom, more wadding, a rubber glove, more wadding another glove, wrap this in towels rinsed in holy water and dried in the sun 3 days after the summer solstice, place inside a vac bag then inside a safe. Wrap the safe in cotton wadding then wrap in cling wrap. After this you need to put this in a plastic bag and surround with paper mch. The
    Another plastic bag.

Bury this in the ground. You should be right. Otherwise your silver will just rot away as it is water soluble.

17. pixha

pixha Member

Dunno where you get that info...

18. Rothbard

Rothbard New Member

Yeah man, don't get it wet, it's like a berocca.

19. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Regarding the safe you intend on using, you may want to look at some of the fireproof/ceramic lined models especially anything that has been designed for storage of electronics. These safes are built with the purpose of absorbing the heat of a fire so the contents are protected and to be waterproof so that the contents are still protected when the fire brigade turns up and hoses everything down - not much point in saving stuff from a fire if its going to be destroyed by the water used to put the fire out.

As well as wrapping the silver to protect it from shocks while you're moving the safe around, you'd want to put some moisture absorbing crystals/sachets in the safe to suck up any water molecules that get trapped inside when you seal it up. You might want to put some in a few days before burying it to remove as much moisture as possible and then replace them with fresh ones immediately before burying it. You should also check the atmospheric humidity on the day you do this in case its about to rain that the air is full of moisture. Try to have the air as dry as possible when you seal the safe up.

As for burying a safe in the first place, that's a whole 'nother topic.

20. Contrarian

Contrarian New Member

I had a container break underground and fill up with water fully submerging the silver. It could have been submerged for anywhere up to 12 months and would definitly have frozen in winter.
    Even the coin capsules were full of water. Anything 999 came out as good as the day it went in. Took a while to get the moisture out of the coin capsules but they ended up as good as new also.
    Not so the predecimals. Most were badly stained. But the 999 bars and coins were no drama.

C