Britannia returns to circulating coins!

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Luker, Feb 27, 2015.

1. chrissilver

chrissilver Member Silver Stacker

This coin is quite popular over here in the UK. I personally don't like it because of the gilded edge. The design is great though.

2. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The design in general is popular, or do you mean just the Pieford?

3. chrissilver

chrissilver Member Silver Stacker

I mean this 2 Pieford coin: http://www.royalmint.com/en/shop/u/uk15d2pf?tab=detail#productdetails

Not sure how popular it actually is, but I noticed a few people posting here of their purchase http://thesilverforum.com/topic/5-today-i-bought/page-103

Do they also mint this design on some of the older Britannias? I don't know anything about those as I don't collect them. I am more of a Kookaburra, Lunar type of guy :D

4. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

Mintage of 1,000 Piedfort coins gone from 1,000 to 2,000. A mistake apparently, and still low, but a little disappointing.

5. Luker

Luker Member

That is total b.s. if that is in fact the case. There would be absolutely no excuse for that sort of error after last year's
    fiasco regarding the 5 Oz silver proof Britannia. In that instance they listed the maximum mintage as 600 I believe
    , and then they reported 1250 .

6. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

The way the RM pardoned or excused themselves last year regarding the 5 oz proof silver Britannia was that they claimed that the 600 coins sold directly through their site to the public is a different "Presentation" ("Limited Edition Presentation") than the 750 they sold privately to a large dealer (GovMint.com). Most people, myself included, see that as a somewhat dishonest way to note mintage numbers for the same exact coin. Other mints engage in similar behavior as well.

Perhaps it's different with the case of claiming 1,000 initially for the 2015 issue piedfort...maybe the 2,000 revision takes into account all "presentations" of that particular coin...I don't know.

7. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

Mistakes are part of humans, we want it or not.

It's strange that same "mistake" happened for (at least) 2nd time to BM. Why they don't initially write there will be 1000 coins in special edition and additional 1000 in X edition?

I like some of the BM coins a lot, but with moves like this I'm starting to think if I will buy something from them in the future.

This only shows that "customer is the king" is only a dream...

8. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

hmmmm...........I like the 5 oz Britannia and the peifort. However, seems like always mistake by them like cheating customers. On top of it, the premium is super high as compare to other mints. Finally, I only admire my friends 5 oz Britannia.

9. smile4art

smile4art Member

They announced the mintage correctly in the beginning, but the same mistake online again. Perhaps they have different marketing departments. They should control the online announcements better.

If I calculate it correctly, there should be only 3000 pieces normal silver version in the single presentation, because 7500 are reserved for the silver sets (single and/or combined).
    But only if the real maximum mintage of this coin is 10500. At the moment about 1733 pieces left at online shop after one week.
    About 1387 pieces left for the piedfort since introduction last week or this monday (with the new portrait of the Queen).

Can't wait to receive mine.

10. Luker

Luker Member

So I can't figure how the mint distributes their coins. I purchased my Piedfort Feb 27th (1 full week before your post which mentioned there to be 1733 remaining ) and paid via credit card immediately. Today I received my coin and it is #1664. So they either must be releasing via a random number system, OR they release them starting from number 2000, or perhaps you misread the 1733 as remaining instead of having been sold?

Cheers,
    Luker

11. jazzy988

jazzy988 Member

Received my order of 2 coins today. An absolutely stunning coin. Following up on Luker's post above, I ordered mine a day after its release and was hoping to get low COA numbers. Ended up with numbers 16++ and 17++. Plan to get another 2 of them. The pictures do not do justice to the beauty and detail of the coin.

12. Stark

Can somebody make video of this coin? :)

I'm tempted to buy 1 or 2.

I remember for Britannia they had in % how many were sold out. Unfortunately this is not practice for every coin. :/

Some reviewer also posted on their site that coin is stunning in hand.

13. jazzy988

jazzy988 Member

Get 2 of them. You won't regret it. And being a piedfort coin, these will be rare even in the secondary market. I just ordered another 2 yesterday.

14. smile4art

smile4art Member

You can test yourself. Just add a high amount into the basket then there will be a warning how many coins are still left in the "online" shop.
    For the piedfort about the half of the maximum mintage is sold.
    For the normal version only about 616 pieces are still available.

15. Luker

Luker Member

The website only allows me to input a maximal number of 99 , so that option does not work for me.

16. Luker

Luker Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/13635_dscn0942.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

17. smile4art

smile4art Member

It seems that from an European address there is no limit to add higher number.
    [imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/15157_screen-britannia.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

@Luker: thanks for the pictures. Britannia looks great. :)

18. Stark

19. SpacePete

That picture turned out to be a bit deceptive on the size:

[​IMG]

Not that I'm complaining, I love this little coin.

20. SpacePete

1,076 remaining just now, which make me wonder why I got a high COA number close to 2000.

[​IMG]