brass/copper medals grading question

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by silverstar1, Sep 26, 2012.

1. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Does anyone know if NGC will grade medals from this company, Xintiandi Medal Co. Ltd ?

2. STC

STC Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You would have to ask NGC (& please do), send a scan of the coin & a photocopy of the coa & any relevant info you have, fingers crossed!

3. low

low New Member

Yes please ask.

IMHO they should. Otherwise ask them why they grade the Xi Shi medal when it is clear the medal is not minted by one of the 3 official mint.

It could be the company is owned by one of the Mint, but where the proof is?

4. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Thanks I will ask them and let you know.

5. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

[​IMG]
    Source: [​IMG]
    Source:
    Here is pictures of the Medal In question , I love it and it is Huge 120MM Brass, I heard from NGC and They said they would not grade this since it was not minted at Shanghai, Shenyang or Shenzhen , so that is very strange that they would grade a medal from Xi Shi unless like has been said they are owned by one of these mints but even at that they made it clear it had to be one of these three. Are you sure they are grading the Xi Shi medal? it is unfortunate as I dont care as much about the grade as I just thought it would be really nice to have it slabbed and also protect it.

6. silverfever

silverfever New Member

Graded / NGC Slabbed Xi Shi's have been sold on ebay.

7. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

So does anyone know for sure if Xi Shi is in fact owned and operated by one of the 3 Chinese mints?

8. low

low New Member

Xi Shi medal was minted by . I don't believe this company is owned by any of the official Mint.

http://www.ganji.com/gongsi/6982242/

IMHO, it is NGC mistake to grade Xi Shi medal if that is their policy to not grade medal other than that minted by one of the three official mint.

Silverstar,

I will suggest you contact boybluejay for his advise if you want your medal to be slabbed. It is a nice and special medal.

9. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Thanks Low I really appreciate all your knowledge and help.

10. silversmth2

silversmth2 New Member

I am new on this forum. There is really a lot of great and useful stuff here, thank you everyone.

low's earlier post said
    I own some Xi Shi medals. I do not know if Shanghai mint owns . But it seems very possible since the "extension" is in the name of the plant and since the Xi Shi medal design was made by Chen Jian, a famous designer who worked for many years at Shanghai mint.

Also, there is also another recent medal that Chen Jian designed and carved, the bronze and copper fish dragon medals. These medals were also minted and cast by

By the way, the info at the link posted by low about seems to be wrong. The link says this company started in 2011. But there are medals made by this plant as early as 2009.

11. low

low New Member

Thank you for your reply.

Couple of things to clarify.

1. In 2009, it was called . The name only exist since 2011. But if you insist the link I posted contains wrong information, I will not argue.

2. Mr. Chen Jian is a well respected coins and medal designer. He has retired from Shanghai Mint. I suppose since he has retired, he is free to do any work for any company at his own discretion. Yes I am aware he did quite a number of medals for but that never means the company is owned by Shanghai Mint, or in anyways, has any relationship with Shanghai Mint.

I fully agreed all the medals designed by Mr. Chen Jian are of high quality, and will be an important addition to your collection. That doesn't means NGC should grade any medal designed by Mr. Chen Jian for other company apart from Shanghai Mint, if that is their policy to only grade medals from any of the official Mint.

I insist, NGC make a fatal mistake in violating their own policy.

Anyway I do agree produce many beautiful medals and is worth to collect.

http://hqw00551.chinaw3.com/read.php?tid=1748

12. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

I dont know if it helps anyone but I have heard from a friend who collects medals ,if you have a question about grading take a few pics ,scan the coa if available(very helpful) and email NGC your question ,they take a little bit to reply but they do,hope it helps

13. silversmth2

silversmth2 New Member

Yes, it makes good sense to ask NGC directly. Only they would know why Xi Shi medal is considered ok for grading. Low may be right to ask questions about this, but I think It is too early to assume there was mistake. We, here don't have all facts to prove whether or not the medal plant, is related to Shanghai mint.