Blanks?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Dandan, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Dandan

Dandan New Member

Im new to the perth mint and it's site/s. I missed all the dragon hype and only signed up after the coloured dragons sold out.

While randomly clicking trying to find a page which shows me future releases and dates (so I can be ready) I came across the PM minting service and blanks. Could these be our new buffalos? Can we get in as a group buy and buy the blanks as is? Has anyone investigated this? Perhaps we could get SS ones and have our own cheap low premium rounds?

Im sure someone else has come up with an idea like this before. But I thought I would put the question forward to some of the older hands. Who's interested?

Also a link it upcoming future releases at the perth mint would be appreciated (im still searching lol)

Cheers

Dan

2. Dandan

Dandan New Member

3. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not such a mad idea ,I like it :D

4. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Already investigated, costs are prohibitive ($35 premiums per round). Perth Mint does not make low premium rounds - these blanks are designed for either Tuvalu-style coloured proof coin mintage, or as a wholesale service to other major mints - Perth Mint manufacture (or used to) blanks for the American Silver Eagle (much to the chagrin of some US politicians!).

It's been discussed directly with the mint - as shown with the wait times for 1oz coins at the moment, they simply don't have production capacity to take on low-premium coin/round minting.

5. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Beat me to it i asked them too good to see i wasnt the only one that got that type of price.I think my price was a bit better than that :p: I must be special

6. Dandan

Dandan New Member

Ah figures.... I knew it couldn't be that easy to get cheap generic rounds.

I will investigate the minimum order amount. Design something with my mug on it. Pay the massive premium and bank on silver going thru the roof. One day I will be buying stuff with my own currency :)

No word on upcoming PM release dates?

Thanks

Dan

7. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If we were going to make a Silver Stackers round I would want it stackable like the Stackers Bars, so I guess they would be machined rather than pressed out of a sheet like the planchettes are.

8. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

Not sure about this year, but last year the US Mint was using over 4 million ounces per month, so they have many vendors as no one vendor could meet that demand. Wouldn't surprise me to find out Chinese firms were supplying some LOL

9. renovator

I wonder if thats possible? i would try it if i had some insulated wire..All you need to do is wrap the wire around it as many times as you can in a coil with one end touching the coin .Then touch the coin on a car battery - with the other end of the wire going to the opposite pole + on the battery it will damage the coin a little when it arcs but if you have an old ugly one its worth a try.Ive been magnetising my screwdrivers & tools like that for years

10. renovator

Yep im commonly found stuck groin first to steel lockers until help arrives :lol: