Black Gold, Anyone?

Discussion in 'Stocks & Derivatives' started by AgStalker, Aug 27, 2020.

1. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think I’m a bit keen on Woodside’s plays in meeting future energy needs.

AgStalker likes this.
  2. mmm....shiney!

COVID has reduced CO2 emissions by something like 4 - 8%. We’re going to need that to happen every year if we’re going to reach net zero carbon by 2050.

So we either have a crisisevery year for the next 30 years, or we get a ramp up in investment in carbon neutral fossil fuels - oil, LNG and atomic number 1.

AgStalker likes this.
  3. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

We are having the coolest weather locally for as long as I can remember. It has been raining non stop for months. The Indonesians burn their forests around August or Sept, a dry season, a reason why we don't believe in the green movement, it's a joke when this happens yearly. But it has been raining non stop since June so the dry season has disappeared this year. You can't burn the forest when the ground is soaked.

If the wet weather continues to December, it will become snow in the northern part of asia, snow and snow non stop. This winter is going to be very very cold. People are going to burn anything they can get hold of to generate heat.

AgStalker likes this.
  4. mmm....shiney!

Pleasing to see the NSW government supporting Santos in meeting future energy demands. I worry about projects in that jurisdiction.

I’ll be following both them and Woodside’s venture into blue hydrogen with interest, but probably not with any $$$$.

AgStalker likes this.
  5. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Santos for me is a medium term bet, Woodside Hydrogen is long term, but in reality I am trader in them. If oil hits $100 again, I will sell and when it drops to $50 Ill buy.

As for Hydrogen many people dismiss it without realising that many industrial users of hydrocarbons won't consider battery technology like Long Haul Truck, Buses, Trains, Bulk/Cargo ships and Air transport.

For many of the industrial users mentioned above time and or weight is a bigger issue with batteries and logistics of Hydrogen unlike for general public is not a concern, ie Buses, Planes, Trains and Ships all fuel at a designated depot, port or airport. For long haul trucks it is not that hard to map out Hydrogen to major trucking stops.

Once Hydrogen is produced for the above industries the cost of hydrogen will fall drastically. As for hydrogen cars for the masses it depends for example South Korea government plans build and open 1200 hydrogen stops and private companies are also planning hydrogen stations.

Hydrogen in cities like Seoul Korea, Tokyo, Beijing and HK makes sense with 80% living in apartments without chargers. Of course new apartment developments could build chargers in each carspot but that doesn't help many tens of millions apartments with open plan parking that is already built and won't be replaced for 50 fifty years or more.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    AgStalker and mmm....shiney! like this.