bitcoinplus

Discussion in 'Questions & Comments' started by rbaggio, Jun 22, 2011.

1. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

I've noticed today that when loading silverstackers.com, and navigating between pages within, I am seeing a lot of 'transferring data from www.bitcoinplus.com' and 'read www.bitcoinplus.com'.

And I'm able to read this, because ss.com seems to be loading slowly for me today, so I can see all of the 'page loading' messages at the bottom of Firefox.

When I see it, I just see the usual sponsor banner at the top, and usual google ads below/centre (i.e. it's not as if there's a 'bitcoinplus.com' banner loading or something).

Thoughts?

2. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Yes bitcoinplus.com is showing up in my blocked javascript list (noscript)...

Perhaps GP is trying to use our CPU cycles to mine bitcoins when we're browsing the site ;)

3. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Yep!

I put a script into the header - trialling it for a few days. Basically it's a bit of Javascript.

First impressions - a bit pointless. I'll turn it off in a day or so. I worked out that it would take 45 days to mine a single bitcoin - worth how many cents now?

Anyway the exercise will yield about 0.01 bitcoins overnight - which is the minimum that I need to transfer it to a digital wallet, and then the experiment will end.

4. fishball

5. goldilox

goldilox Member Silver Stacker

this sux doggies balls. i was going to post about the security alerts i was getting - asking to approve the bitcoin certificates every time i open a tab. wtf? i am on a shaped satellite connection and its hard enough as it is

6. goldpelican

hmm sounds like the plug needs pulling a little earlier then.

7. fishball

Wouldn't mind it much if it ran on the work computers either, the laggier the computer is the less work I do ;)

But would mind if it ran when I'm viewing the site on the phone... "hey where'd that battery power go!?"

Don't see the SSL cert warnings though.

8. goldpelican

Nah, just pulled it out - I'm on Ubuntu and it actually caused Firefox to crash a few times.

I just checked the value of a bitcoin - around $14.70 - it took 5 hours to generate 0.01 bitcoins (14c) - the disruption to the user experience is NOT worth it.

Anyway the little experiment is over - I now have a bitcoin cent to play with.

9. fishball

Pffft I wasn't whining ;)

Not my fault I'm addicted to the forums so must check my phone every 5 minutes when I'm out of office/home >_<

ps. What's a one core? :eek:

10. StackHat

StackHat New Member

I find it ethically a bit dodgy that you were subversively using client CPU for mining. At least be forthcoming with the info if you plan to do it :|

CPU's really are the worst way to mine as well, if you needed .01 bitcoin for a test or something I am sure someone would have been able to provide it.

11. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

I think it is more like a way of covering site running costs without asking ppl to pony up... but this is just my 2c

12. goldpelican

Not in the least.

My understanding of how the script works was that it executed JavaScript while a page was open for viewing. If I wanted to "covertly" raise money there's far more insidious things that can be done like cookie-stuffing for affiliate programs etc.

I have no interest in mining bitcoins for profit (I don't even own a PC with a GPU anyway - all of my machines have embedded graphics). It was a several-hour exercise to generate 0.01 bitcoin (worth ~17c?) that was then transferred once to a digital wallet, to watch the process work in real time. Exercise complete.

13. goldpelican

Again, no.