Big Bash Punting Thread

Discussion in 'Other Investments' started by BuggedOut, Dec 20, 2016.

1. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Following on from my NRL Punting thread, here is a new thread for the Big Bash League for the Summer of 2016-17.

I'm not going to be nearly as active here as I was for the NRL, but I do usually take a decent position in the Futures markets so will post it up here and see if anyone wants to throw in any other tips.

Brisbane Heat To Win Competition : 20 units @ 9.00
    Brisbane Heat to Make The Top 4 : 20 units @ 2.20

A team that performed fairly poorly in recent times and were written off early last season due to losing the first 5 games. They did win thier last 3 to finish the season with a bit of momentum, but it was too little too late to make the finals.

This season they've brought back Brendan McCullum to take a full time role as captain. A huge signing as not only an explosive experienced hitter in the T20 format, but a highly respected and successful international cricketer and captain that the team can really rally behind. Joe Burns is also out of the Australian team this year so he is likely to get a full season in the BBL and is good quality in this format at this level too. Add in guys like Chris Lynn, Nathan Reardon, Jimmy Pearson and Ben Cutting - All this guys are big hitters if not outright flat track bullies. Alex Ross and Alex Doolan are quality bats too so plenty of depth in the batting and I'd expect some very high scores from this team - especially at home where 200+ is not that uncommon.

In the bowling department they have Samuel Badree, who is an international West Indian spinner that displaced the enigma Sunil Narine. Badree did well last year and I'd expect him to go better this year too. Ben Cutting is a solid bowling option and then there is Luke Feldman, Andrew Fekete and Mark Steketee - hardly world beaters but decent enough at this level to hold thier own.

The market has rated Brisbane the 2nd worst team, but it looks wrong to me and I expect it is recency bias showing from the last couple of years dissappointment. It genuinely would not surprise me to see them go undefeated at home this season and finish Top 2 for a home finals berth.

Good luck if you're having a punt. Don't bet over your head.

2. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Well-Known Member

3. BuggedOut

Brisbane score a massive 206....and almost lose.

Anyone who watched this game would have seen how Brendan McCullum rallied the bowlers during the Adelaide chase. By the end of the game he'd pulled them together to grind out an impressive defence. At one stage during the chase Brisbane was out to 11.00 to win the game, so it gives you an idea of how big the comeback was and how important McCullums captaincy will be this season.

We're on track ;)

4. BuggedOut

Just over the half-way point in the tournament. Brisbane just won the top of the table clash against Perth to become outright favorites to win the tournament and have pretty much guaranteed a finals berth with 3 games to go.

Happy with that. Will see how the markets price things up from here to see if it's worth taking out some profit. :cool:

5. BuggedOut

Dunno about the match, but the partnership of 156 between McCullum and Lynn certainly was a record breaker. They totally destroyed a decent total in 14.4 overs and you'll be hard pressed to find a more destructive partnership in the history of cricket.

6. Soprano16

Soprano16 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

When McCullum and Lynn are on, its simply amazing to watch

Only 3 fours, but 11 sixes! Absolute beast

7. Fat Penguin

Fat Penguin Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Looked like even the scorcher fans enjoyed that awesome batting display

8. BuggedOut

Brisbane Heat beat the Stars and go to top of the table with a guaranteed home final...

...winning away from home against the competition favourites without their best batsman, best bowler and suspended captain. Pretty damned impressive. :D

9. BuggedOut

Correction - home final is not guaranteed yet but it's about 90% likely at this stage.

10. BuggedOut

Before Brisbane first final, a good time to take a hedge :-

Sydney Sixers to defeat Brisbane Heat : 30 units @ 2.00

At the end of the day, anything can happen in the finals and the Sixers ARE dangerous.

11. BuggedOut

Results from BBL 2016-17 :-

Brisbane Heat To Win Competition : 20 units @ 9.00 = -20 units
    Brisbane Heat to Make The Top 4 : 20 units @ 2.20 = +24 units
    Sydney Sixers to defeat Brisbane Heat : 30 units @ 2.00 = +30 units

Total for BBL 2016-17 = +34 units

Happy enough with that result considering some of the mid-season setbacks.