Better to buy bars or coins ?.

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by mel1092, Apr 21, 2020.

1. SliderC

SliderC Active Member

Perth Mint is the premium and most recognisable brand in Australia and globally Australias most renowned brand.

If I can get perth mint silver vs other brand silver at a similar price point I will always go for Perth Mint.

There are far fewer generic silver coins in the Australian Market over the US market and I think thats alot to do with brand perception.

Bars is another story, there are some good brands such as ABC, Ainslie, SouthernCross etc which are decently recognised but still not on part with Perth Mint for my opinion.

So my two cents would be if you could get alternative brand bars meaningfully cheaper then perth mint, then sure, but if the difference is 50c-$1 over spot...I would go Perth Mint still...

As for coins, I dont know any coins worth stacking that arent Perth Mint, they are in my opinion, some of the best quality coins on the Planet made in our own backyard and instantly recognisable to investors...

My question is though, if your not stacking Perth Mint coins, what are the alternatives in Australia? Eagles/Maples? premiums are relatively the same...

JNS and Holdfast like this.
  2. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

1/10 oz gold coin - 2014 Australian Kangaroo with Chinese privy mark - No one wanted them at $168 March 2015; recent sale was $530AUD 25 April 2020.:eek:

jultorsk likes this.
  3. JNS

JNS Active Member Silver Stacker

I stacked different minted world bullion coins, i agree.... Perth mint as one of the best quality coins.
    As of this time, it certainly my pleasure to know.
    When i am on Australia, They are my favorite :)