Best way to protect your wealth?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Cain, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Cain

Cain New Member

Hello, I am very new to collecting silver, but this is kind of a general question for anything of value. What is the best way to protect silver coins? I like vaults/safes, but their kind of "obvious" and if a criminal cannot find your safe, then it's that much safer, at least, I'd think. I am wondering, what do yall believe is the best way to protect silver? I am looking at a safe that bolts into the floor, so they can't just pick it up, but I have also thought, I live out in the middle of nowhere, I could just as easily buy a small safe, put it in a container, and hide it in one of the sheds/barns, or better yet, bury it literally lol. Anyways, the question is: What is the best way to protect silver coins?

I know I could buy a safe deposit box at a bank, but if your like me, that's kind of banking on the side of error to me.

2. scone

scone Active Member Silver Stacker

rottweilers and bury it under their kennel

3. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Whilst there are several good options to protect valuables, IMHO the best is to not let anyone know you have anything of value in the first place! Loose lips sink ships, is the WW2 saying that comes to mind.

4. Cain

Cain New Member

Well, no one around me knows I have anything, and the internet, I am doubtful anyone would travel this far out too rob me, considering their chances of success are not all that great either lol.

5. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

tell how much you have and count the chances of someone traveling to you ;)

the best advice ever - do not tell anyone you have PM
    Wealth is not the thing to brag about.

6. Cain

Cain New Member

I have less then it would cost in gas to drive to town and back atm. I am not bragging, I am asking ways to protect wealth, I understand not talking about it is one way, but I am asking for opinions on ways to protect wealth in general.

7. TofuAttack

TofuAttack New Member

Buy a shovel.

8. markcoinoz

markcoinoz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Cain,

I saw a guy on UTube with a very good way of burying your stash without any chance of damage or condensation getting in.
    Brilliant idea imo.

He bought a large Diameter PVC pipe and had it sealed at one end and i would assume a plastic screw cap at the other.
    It was only about 1 mtre long. That to me was a very good storage idea without going to extremes of buying a floor safe.
    Why buy something of value to have it stored in the most obvious place?

Cheers markcoinoz

9. samboyellowsub

samboyellowsub Member

PVC is so cheap why not just glue it shut at both ends? That'll seal it. Just top off the cache with some oxygen and moisture absorbent material and you've got the best cheapest container around. Less than five minutes with a hacksaw to open it back up, and less than $5 for a new end cap to seal it back up if you have to.