Best place to buy $10 Australian silver coins

Discussion in 'Silver' started by bgtrader, Apr 13, 2011.

1. bgtrader

bgtrader New Member

Where is the best place to pick up these bad boys and what are your thoughts on them? I can see a few on ebay but I don't like ebay so where else? I am in Brisbane.

2. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I stack nothing else,I'm a bit stuck on them
    There's plenty on feebay ,I had a look earlier plenty around
    I sourced most of mine from (C.K) but I think I cleaned him out on those
    If you can get them cheap enough on feebay grab them $22-$23 each

3. Guest

Guest Guest

SS forums. Usually a WTB thread will result in bites. Else Ebay or in coin stores. They tend to trickle in and I pick up the odd one here and there.

4. jparrie

jparrie Member

Just looked at eBay for 1kg PAMP bars, all with bids and well over what you can buy locally for. I don't get it? I must be missing something?? There can't be that many numpties around surely?

5. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Thats what i keep thinking but they continue to sell

6. Guest

Guest Guest

People believe Ebay is anonymous.

People get caught up in bidding frenzies.

People also rig auctions (shill bidding for example) to elevate higher expected prices.

People from certain countries have difficulties buying silver locally, or at decent pricing (after taxes)

People chase specific examples of silver they believe are worth more than others.

People don't understand PM buying beyond mainstream media and Ebay pricing (ie they don't DTODD).

Many reasons really, but I've never ever taken Ebay as a barometer for anything other than what the uninformed or desperate will be willing to pay for metals.

7. hazy

hazy Active Member

I saw some the other day and I was thinking of getting a few, $25 each or 3 for $70. I was really scraping the bottom of the coin jar though, I even cashed in my cupro-nickels... I was ready for the dressing down from SWMBO "these aren't even pure silver! stop chucking our money away on your stupid hobby!". So I didn't.
    anyways.... are you after a particular kind, I could check if they have them. If you just want any kind PM me and we'll work something out.
    also this was last week, I guess they might have revised their prices already but I don't think they would have as spot hasn't climbed that much if at all.

8. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Don't knock the uninformed or desperate, they are my exit strategy.

Even my local Sunday market dealer (near Brisbane) is out of all but the most expensive silver at the moment, I think the biggest deal for the $10 State was that no one was particulalry looking for them so they could be picked up at less of a premium, they can still be picked up but they are now lumped in with all the "buy anything silver and work out what it is worth later" purchases. My market trader had a box of these on his stall for ages and no one wanted them, now he has none left.

I used to find that I could buy foreign coins over here for less than spot as people were unfamilair with them, most people can recognise australian silver and work out fairly easily what to pay for them, but a 1960 20 Lepta coin from Greece, not so many bidders on them!

Of course they will be harder to sell on but a quick Google will let a buyer know what they contain.

Long story short, unless you particularly want the State coins you need to find some other source of obscure silver that the masses are unaware or unsure of and corner that market, once the news hits these forums you will be going head to head with serious stackers and serious money, people who believe that it doesn't matter how much they spend on a coin as they will make it all back in a year or two (as well as the rest of us who are convinced but more cautious). Once the public hears about them you will be bidding against people who have no idea of when to stop bidding, and you can't afford that.

I would look for the next sleeper

9. bgtrader

bgtrader New Member

None in particular just wanted to get my hands on 5 or so. Where can I get info on the swap meets that happen around Brisbane?

10. hazy

hazy Active Member

11. hazy

hazy Active Member

If and when I get around to getting some I'll lay in a lazy half a dozen extra in case you want to trade something for them. Don't mind if you don't want them though, someone will take 'em off me.

12. bgtrader

bgtrader New Member

Would depend on the spot at the time...

Just picked up 4 1966 50c for $50 off ebay on a second chance offer. Not too bad.

13. hazy

hazy Active Member

cool, plus postage I assume. Well done, I keep bidding on them but haven't managed to get any yet.

14. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

How time have changed. Dealers had been cashing these coins @ the bank years back because the $10 face value was far more than the silver value !

15. bgtrader

bgtrader New Member

Yep $3 postage on that. Coin shop on adelaide has them for $15 so happy to get them for $13.25 each. Every $ saved is a dollar gained :)

16. bgtrader

bgtrader New Member

They are good for their stop loss value. SWMBO doesn't like my new silver "hobby" so when I explained the $10 coin and stop loss she would like me to focus there rather than bullion for now.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

I know trading on ignorance is the accepted ethical standard of 2011 Australian business accumen, but it's really not my ideology.

This is the business ideology of gold kiosks in shopping centres.

My exit strategy won't require ignorance to be profitable.

I know it's tongue in cheek, but I question the ethics of anyone who needs someone who is ignorant of what they're buying to turn a profit.

Gold and Silver speak for themselves. When it comes time to sell up and move onto the next wealth cycle, you won't need the uneducated to buy your product to realise a profit.