Best lunar choice NOV 2012

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by Joker77, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Joker77

Joker77 New Member

Im very interested in 5 oz versions of Australian lunar coin series. What do you think in NOV 2012 what is the best choice? 5oz silver Dragon(2012) or 5oz silver snake(2013) or 1 oz silver snake? I notice previous years of 5oz lunar coins are hard to get on ebay in some countrys and mintage seem to be low. Dragon is lovely but how many been sold? dont know yet, seens to be very popular. let me know what you think which version is the best to hold. What do u think about 5oz versions? Did u noticed there is less coins on ebay now then 2 years ago? Probably 1 oz snake will be sold out during next 3-4 months, but 5 oz is awesome.

[​IMG]

2. silver sultan

silver sultan New Member

Dragon defo out of the two.

3. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Nice image of your dragon 'Joker77".

There seems to be more and more people interested in 5oz lunars, probably because it's the only 5oz bullion available from Perth.

I think we'll have to wait until Perth release the mintage details next year to see how well the dragon sold but I wouldn't be too concerned about the mintage because the coin is probably the best design in the series so far, and should be very collectable for many years.

There's a lot of negativity towards the snake but I think it's a very nice bullion coin. If the negativity continues, the mintage could be low but if a person is in the market to buy 5oz bullion I'd buy the Dragon first and snake second.

Having said that, Perth has suspended coin production before, so it may be prudent to aquire a snake or five. :)

H

Edit - By the way, the 1oz snake is officially sold-out at the mint. (Still available from dealers but not fresh from Perth)
    http://www.perthmintbullion.com/Blog/au/Blog.aspx

[​IMG]
    http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f...eptember2012LunarSnake1ozCoin_zps48319458.jpg

4. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Last posted mintage I saw on the 5oz 2012 silver lunar dragon was about 22000. I never bought any 5oz lunars before. But right before the lunar snakes came out, I was able to purchase some 5oz dragons for $168USD. After the snakes came out the dealer (Provident or Apmex) raised the premium on those coins.

5. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Dragon over the Snake BUT I wouldnt buy either :)

6. Holdfast

dccpa

That's quite a good price for the 5oz.

They're still readily available, a few dealers have then for sale @ $193, $175, $189 AUD.

Where did you hear about 22,000 as the mintage? Perth won't reveal sales figures until 2013. :)

7. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Dragon!

1for1

8. Holdfast

Wise choice! :|

9. hem9

hem9 Active Member Silver Stacker

10. warezz

warezz New Member

Mintage a June Dragon 5oz is 26000. Coment stephen ward

http://www.perthmintbullion.com/blo...rend_Emerges_-_What_s_Your_View.aspx#comments

11. hem9

Considering 1oz lunars are sold out and hoarded at 300k mintage, I think 28k is minuscule (not even 10%)

12. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

it's like compare lemons with oranges ... almost the same but different
    if you consider collector hoard of 1 oz bullion and compare it to 5 oz collectors, the 28k in mintage would be huge.

sold my 5 oz dragon for a very nice profit and do not consider buying them or any other oversized(above 2 oz) until they are sold very close to spot.
    I'd better buy 1 oz bullion, which I do

13. hem9

That's true but history speaks for itself as the appreciation of 5oz has been more dramatic in comparison with other sizes (except the 1oz) and in some cases even compared with the 1oz. Try buying a s2 5oz mouse. The other 5oz has appreciated btter in comparison with smaller 1/2or 2oz.

14. Joker77

Joker77 New Member

for example price for 5 oz dragon in england 149 GBP ,Snake 139 GBP.In France Dragon 158 Euro , Snake 151 euro . Coins like 5 oz tiger very hard to find price 240 euro. Rabbit very hard to find 200 euro. Previous 5 oz forget it very very hard to find it. Ebay sales occasionally.

Dragon 1 oz version got massive premium cost about 59 GBP. I think the lunar is the king, awesome coins beautiful designe. I personaly like 5oz and 10 oz coins and I notised the 5 oz could get better premium than 10 oz. I will pick up some more 5 and a few 10 oz. What sizes do you stacking?

15. Holdfast

The 5oz rabbit!

The coin!
    If you can find it..the 10oz bunny! Happy searching! :)

16. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

yeah, it is always nice to point to the history when the mintage for both was very different.
    let's compare mintage for all of them, issue price when they hit the market and appreciation ... in order to be objective

as of now 5 oz dragons are 15 times rarer than 1 oz ... what about mouse?

17. Joker77

Joker77 New Member

just to make you laugh worldbubble
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-5-oz...1115?pt=UK_Coins_World_RL&hash=item4abdcd57eb

18. hem9

Firstly, I was commenting on the comparison of the 8k 5oz rabbit to the 28k 5oz dragon, if you even bothered to read the statement in "context", you would understand that I am just trying to say that it is still a good purchase even if it is 3x more than the rabbit as it is 10x less than the 1oz. Only an idiot would purely conotate mintage with value.

Secondly, if you look at the appreciation in percentage, I think the 5oz would be the best value for money as they have appreciated a lot more than the other sizes.

19. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Someone posted it on this site. It was probably the 26k mintage. The reason I bought is that the 5oz was the lowest mintage of the non kilo sizes. I believe there were 44k 10oz silver dragons minted at that point. The 5oz mintage being about half of the 10oz mintage got my attention. That may be a normal ration, but I concentrate on 1oz coins and had not paid attention to the other sizes. Also the fact that the premium was only about $3oz over spot made it a no brainer for me.

20. Joker77

Joker77 New Member

I think now best deal is 1 oz snake or 5 oz dragon. Cant buy 1 oz dragon becouse huge premium. I have 1 oz snakes but dragons 5 oz are so much nicer. Dilema buy 1 oz just becouse its most tradable or 5 oz becouse is most superior ,rare and beautiful and still has tendency to gein nice premium. Hmmm