BEHOLD!!!! Silver Log 3.0 !!!

Discussion in 'Silver' started by haveblue, Jun 5, 2012.

1. haveblue

haveblue New Member

Hi All,
    As some of you know I've been developing/evolving a silver spreadsheet over the last year that automatically calculates variables such as cost over spot, the $Aust:$US, profit and loss etc, and updates prices automatically from the Perth Mint Website...

Since it's inception the silver log has been emailed to people all over the country, and the feedback received has been great. Most however, have asked if a sales component could be included in the next version of the log. Well now that version exists :cool:

I have to say that I'm pretty pleased how it's evolved, in the beginning I would have never thought I could construct something like this, so if nothing else I'm happy that I've learned something new! It's changed quite a bit from V2.0...so here are the changes.

Firstly the "purchases" format will be familar to those that have the previous logs:

[​IMG]

As before all you have to enter is the price in both $aust and $us, how much you paid with and without postage, how many oz's you brought, the date and from where. Please note when entering the date you must enter it as dd/mm/yy. This is so that when you enter the sold date the sheet will automatically work out how long you held that item for in years, months and days. Entering the date by a means other than said format may cause excel to crack a :(
    After you have entered this information the sheet will work automatically work out the $$ conversion rate and the margin over spot.

The Sales Info
    Ok so here is the part thats been added, to get to the sales columns you will have to use the scroll bar at the bottom of the screen.

[​IMG]

When you scroll across you will see these columns have been added:

[​IMG]

Now by now you will have noticed that there are columns for oz's sold, remaining, profit/loss$, and profit/loss%. The sheet works out the oz's remaining and profit/loss $%. Now the cool part about this is that if you don't sell anything these columns/rows remain blank and don't affect anything. The other cool part is that if you do sell provision has been made for fractional sales (i.e half an oz) AND... the sheet only works out the profit/loss $% on what has been sold.

Now to bring up the real stats and data you will need click on the "Cost Information" sheet at the bottom LH corner of the program:

[​IMG]

And you will bring up this: All of this information is calculated automatically

[​IMG]

Also on this page:

[​IMG]

Notice that there I have a profit/loss$% with and without sales I have left this in so that you can see if your ahead with your sales, or if you should have held! haha cruel I know :D

And finally on this page which is pretty self explanaitory I hope:

[​IMG]

So there you have it, it's a sheet thats 90% automated and provides quite a bit of information. AND IT"S ONLY $750!!!! Bargain!!!....Just kidding...it's still free :D
    PM with your email address if you would like a copy,

Cheers,
    HB.

P.S I have a GOLD version as well...it's identical to the silver sheet if anyones interested in that one also.

2. Macros_The_Black

Macros_The_Black Member Silver Stacker

I have a copy of V2.0 and it's been truly helpful - HB & I have corresponded on a couple of occasions about adding a sales column (I want to use it too for "potential sales scenarios" ie "what if"). He was kind enough to email me a copy in advance today so I'm posting here in support and recommendation.

(And just to emphasise - it pulls the live pricing from the PM website, so quite handy if you want a temporary high, just open the spreadsheet on a day when we have one of those spikes, and watch the "value" of your stack instantly change haha!)

Thanks HB, great work.

3. josh_xc

josh_xc Member

HB - Fantastic work, would love to grab a copy of Silver Log V3, I have PM'd you and am looking forward to using it - it looks extremely helpful.

4. boyracer

boyracer Member

Very cool. I've started my own but as yours appears developed much further along than mine is or probably ever will be I'll send a PM.

In the name of efficiency you understand. Nothing to do with being lazy :)

5. samboyellowsub

samboyellowsub Member

I didn't want to bother programming so I just used Google docs. Cool program though, bro.

6. Fykus

Fykus Member Silver Stacker

Holy sheet, thats amazing. Ive got the original 1.0 but somehow it broke when i made it connect to the internet (uses the cost of platinum instead of silver for some reason).
    pm'd.

You must be a wizard or something. That looks amazing.

7. haveblue

haveblue New Member

Yeah mine broke as well for some reason...oh well! Not a wizard....this is the result of boredom and curiousity!:D

8. SULLA

SULLA Member Silver Stacker

Looks great! Will it work with the spreadsheet app in Open Office?

9. haveblue

haveblue New Member

ahhhhhhhh...ask me one I know. PM me your email and we can both find out :)

10. Aengrod

Aengrod Member

I think this thread should be sticked on top of silver section, great tool.

11. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

This looks like a great tool , I am also curious why you chose your user name???

12. haveblue

haveblue New Member

:D Usually the people that ask me about my username know what Project it was for...curiously it's always people from the USA that ask me! haha
    I guess I chose the username because the aircraft fascinates me, that and I saw one when I was a kid 2 yrs before they were public knowledge. Wierd choice for a silver forum I know, but I use the same name across a spectrum of boards...makes it easier to remember who I am!

13. Dirtbikepilot

Dirtbikepilot Active Member

A fantastic spreadsheet that just keeps getting better. Thanks for your effort and sharing your work.

I have been using V2 with Open Office with no problems.

14. Dirtbikepilot

Dirtbikepilot Active Member

Sulla I use Open Office and have the previous version of this spreadsheet which works without problems.

15. haveblue

haveblue New Member

All,
    There has been an error found in one of the formulas, specifically the $profit/loss formula... I will have to amend the formula and release V3.1...

To everyone that already has V3.0 I have emailed you and I will send you the amended V3.1 hopefully in the next couple of days.

Cheers,
    HB.

UPDATE: Issue resolved!! V3.1 now available!!! :D

Earlier today........ [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=algWjS2yiyE[/youtube]

16. Greenman

Greenman Member Silver Stacker

This spreadsheet is awesome. I do have a question however...is the current spot price correct. It seems to always be above the current Aussie spot price.

17. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The spot price is taken directly from the Perth Mint website and should auto-refresh. If not, you can do it manually by going to the third tab (Perth Mint prices)-data-refresh all. As to why it's currently AUD$30.01 and the SS chart is AUD$29.66, think it's due to currency conversions, how frequently they refresh their prices and where they source their charts from. I use the Kitco app and that's currently at AUD$29.60. Go figure!

18. Greenman

Greenman Member Silver Stacker

Thanks House. I've noticed there has been this discrepancy ever since using the spreadsheet. Strange!

19. GiLa

GiLa New Member

Thanks Haveblue once again for the spreadsheet
    I had modified it alot more and other asset data to work out comparisons

20. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

LEGEND

Well done.