Beginner in Sydney

Discussion in 'Silver' started by PAMP_it, Dec 8, 2013.

1. PAMP_it

PAMP_it Member

First of all, I know there will be some that will tell me to go perouse the forums and find answers to these questions, which I am doing, but I thought I would see if I can get some thought on the current market and economic climate as well as some advice on starting out ie. what/when to buy. I am by no means a stranger to the economic side of things as I'm studying finance/econ at uni, but I've only recently got the idea to keep some of my savings as physical gold/silver.

So...I'm 20yo, with about $1000-2000 to spend, this represents about 10-15% of my liquid funds atm and I don't need to spend it all at once, the main reason I want to start stacking is to create a sizeable side investment for when I'm a bit older but also for the cool feeling of having solid gold/silver

I just wanted some advice, thoughts on....

1. What types of coins/bars to invest in (based not only on low premiums but on good refiners eg. PAMP/OPM/Scottsdale that will give me good return even if i pay the higher premium for them, i know some people like the PAMP design and that they are numbered)
    2. Where to get them ie. places with lowest premiums (perth mint is quite high premium...ABC not the greatest either)
    3. What is a good premium margin to try and maintain throughout my stack (I want to keep premiums at a minimum but at the same time I would like to have some
    'pretty' silver ie PAMP minted or maple leafs/eagles.
    4. Storage advice, have a safe but what sort of storage box?
    5. I'm not really looking to sell short term but it would be nice to have a stack with long and short term sell options, eg. maybe sell some for a house deposit in 4-5 years and have other stacks that I can hold on to for like 20 years and then cash in.

Keep in mind that I will be looking to add periodically to my stack by putting aside 5% or so of my wages per month and keeping an eye out for bargains.

Okay...for now I think thats it so I thank you all in advance for your help and for the warm welcome to the SS community :)

2. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Welcome Pamp it
    Why don't you try to make it to one of our Sydneystacker's meet. (weekly in the CBD and monthly at West Ryde)
    Our members are very helpful and will be able to answer all your questions.
    You should also be able to pick up silver bars and coins at great prices as there are no shortage of stackers there who will want your business.

3. Howe

Howe Member

I bought my 1kg at $714 at abc bullion I bought a abc bullion silver bar it's kinda worth it . You should buy from there it's cheap. And their website is great.

Good luck

4. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Lots of place to buy around Sydney - ABC is ok.. hope there customer service and wait times have improved so they are more on par with Bullionclub, Bullion money and Bullion List.. also prices were not as good last time i checked.. but great if your on Pitt Street with fiat burning a hole in your pocket.

I might follow your lead and grab some silver this week.

good call!

1for1