Bang for Buck - SHTF Scenario

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by hiho, Oct 28, 2011.

1. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

Ok we all collect coins for the premiums, but when silver and gold get slammed which coins are worth the most fiat

Easy ones are

$200 Gold coin Australia 0.2948 oz Gold
    $10 State Coin Australia 0.5948 oz Silver

what about overseas coins?

2. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

If you have a stack with a premium prophile of 85% of silver @13% over spot max ( 10 oz bars and such ) and the remaining 15 % of your stack is in silver at 50-150% premium over spot.

And if the SPOT of the metal you are in ( in our case silver ) falls by 10-30% within the space of a week or so - and you find yourself you are in need of fiat than
    you are faced with a dilemma

* What do i sell and at what prices ?

The numismatic part WILL not fall as much as general 10-15% over spot stuff.
    However you will find that the market in numismatics has almost dried up.

WHY

Simple reason, whoever found himself with some cash post fall, will be in the mindset of backing the truck and will be in search of cheap silver and the volume of numismatic sales at the price that the sellers are comfortable will be very low.

imo

3. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

Ciao Thucy, its an impossible scenario but just say the world changed and fiat was more valuable than metal, numiastic premiums are now void, I will give you face value for your coin only, capiche?

4. THUCYDIDES79

in RE we find similar phenomenon imo
    since the volume of sales at seller's comfortable prices in numismatic places like Noosa, Surfers Paradise, ( insert trendy suburb from your neck of woods here ) is also a lot lower.
    Whoever has some cash left, and is BULLISH on his outlook for RE will most likely be on the search for distressed sellers and be loading up on the lower end of the
    scale.

5. THUCYDIDES79

Of course you would ( infact everyone would ) , however if i have been stacking intelligently than i would also in my stack have less numismatic silver - and thats the silver that would be going first. This is like the numismatic version of Gresham's Law.

Gotta go now and play some backgammon with Argentum at his place :)

6. Philski

Philski Member

The best bang for my buck has easily been well packaged large vintage Silver coins in above average condition and sales are strong too. The $200 Au sounds like a winner to me. anything slabbed! well almost anything,,