Back Dated 1oz Kookaburras.....the flood has commenced!

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Matthew 26:14, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Do you still reckon the 2013 will sell out by the end of Jan?

2. doomsday surprise

doomsday surprise Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just out of interest, if you could afford a restrike, say just the 2500 kooks, would the PM do extras do you think? I would have thought that getting just say the 2004 done and then selling them could make you a tidy profit or do you think they'd do more to stop people from from profiting this way?

3. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'd say all of the Kooks from 1991 to 2007 have been restruck up to their mintage limit of 300,000.

There's plenty of Perth Mint Distributors selling re-strikes, I'm not sure how many they are keeping for them self but there seems to be a lot of them being sold cheaply.

H

4. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

Is there a subtle mark on a re-strike to distinguish it from the original ? Not sure a square capsule would convince me on eBay.

5. SilverSurfer77

SilverSurfer77 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

They are exactly the same, the capsule is the only difference. So if your into collecting capsules, pay the extra for the square one :)

6. MasterID

MasterID Member

When will Perth Mint release the revised mintage report? Or there is already one out there?

7. Au-mageddon

Au-mageddon Active Member

I highly doubt it that a 1991 remint Kookaburra in round capsule would sell for the same price as an original strike in square capsule.
    No doubt this would also be the same case for the 1992 - 1999 coins.

From 2000 onwards the coins were all sold in round capsules, so there are no difference between the original and reminted coins (except maybe the possibility of tarnishing :p).

8. SilverSurfer77

SilverSurfer77 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have been told that if both an original 91 and a remint were on a table out of their capsules, you would not tell the difference. You could take macro photographs of eack coin, load them onto your computer and study them. They are exactly the same coin. So in reality people are collecting the capsule not the coin. I dont buy into the square capsule thing, I would rather buy a 91 at bullion prices than spot + 70-80% premium for exactly the same coin with a crappy looking square capsule.

I understand how people can be pissed at perth mint because some people have most likely payed huge premiums for some of the rarer years, then to have the coin reminted and on the market for a fraction of the cost.
    I see it as a gift and have always been told never look a gift horse in the mouth :)
    Thats my view on it anyways, everyones different. Just look at the people who will not even look twice at a 1kg pamp bar unless it has a C.O.A with it. IMO it is still a sexy as hell 1kg silver bar with or without the COA, if I can get it cheaper without COA yay for me.

9. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

why?
    square capsules is the next silver ... because it cannot be reproduced, faked, or anything :lol:

10 years from now they will bear the same premium ...though may be only those who collect plastic will pay the premium, who knows )))

10. MasterID

MasterID Member

I should start selling my square capsule for $30 apiece

11. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

sell the silver keep the capsule :lol:
    in coming years you'll make much more ))

12. picturefun

picturefun Member

Could they do the same thing for Koala coin? I saw some people said there were only <120,000 Year 2007 Koala coin issued. And that is the reason why the premium is so high.

Although I know Koala is different, it is mint for the year, so perhaps not:)

13. Lunarowl

Lunarowl Active Member Silver Stacker

I believe they won't remint the koala.. considering the current year koala has unlimited mintage, there's no need for them to do the previous years. But if a German dealer comes with the $$ asking for 2007/2008 koalas, maybe PM will do it.. who knows..
    For PM, bullion is bullion, no different what picture goes on the coins..

14. VANGBAC

VANGBAC Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So the early years in round capsules are remints making up the original stated maximum mintage.? I have just bought some on here and wondered about the capsules. I cannot see how it makes a blind bit of difference as long as you have not paid a big premium for early years to complete a set in which case you are not buying many to complete a set.I think the problem comes if someone is not aware and buys a roll at the higher premium and then resells genuinely unaware and no intent and is picked up by the buyer about the premium. Problems. Maybe an etiquette rule to declare on here when selling that coins are remints for those that have no idea and I am sure there are a few people like me.
    may be a small explanation by GP of this reminting process for beginners would be good.

15. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

soon enuff there will be unbroken square capsules being sold as a display card. just like the originals. if price is hogh enufff.

16. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You want an up to date mintage figure from Perth! :|

Perth are known for taking their time to update sales figures for their coins. At this point in time they don't have the reporting procedures in place that provide outcomes on a regular basis.

The last update for the Kooks:

Sales as at 31 December 2011

Last updated 13 April 2012

http://www.perthmint.com.au//docume...r_Bullion_Coin_Series_1990_-_2011_Current.pdf

Edit

I don't know if Perth will have a seperate mintage page for the re-struck kookaburras, but I'd say they would. :rolleyes:

17. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker

If there is a $ to be made then the Perth Mint will start re-producing the square capsules no doubt...

18. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

i have the opportunity at present to purchase some kooks $1 coins dated from 1991 through to 1996 for a price of $43. I have just recently bought my first kook 1990 at $43.. Bought it on a hunch that there seemed to be a few buyers out there asking for it.

Do you think, I should get these kooks at $43 or should I just let them go through to the keeper?

Your answers would be appreciated.

Regards Errol 43

19. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

95 and 96 are still in the market for under $40 ;)

20. Longtermstacker

Longtermstacker Member

Hey Errol, let me know where they are and I'll have a look at them for you....... :D