Avoiding Perth Mint direct

Discussion in 'Silver' started by whitty, Dec 29, 2011.

1. spclst69

spclst69 Member

I dont know why I cant order and pay as per the normal telephone procedure, and then go pick it up from the mint. That way I can confirm there is stock and pay for it eletronically so I don't need to do cash withdrawls.

2. No1joey

No1joey Member Silver Stacker

Interesting topic, my first purchase was from the Perth mint for a 10 oz Ag bar about 2 months ago

It was fine dealing with them. The sign up process took a bit of effort. Sending them JP authorized copies of ID etc

Delivery was ok too, although the AAE guy did leave it with reception on my floor without obtaining an authorized letter from me to do so, as I had it delivered to my work. The handling time from PM was a bit long, about a week before it left with AAE.

I paid $330 from memory, sad to see it's at $297 now but I guess those fluctuations are normal from quarter to quarter. Although I'm getting into this for the long term, 10 years plus.

I just sold the PM bar on eBay for $345, today. So yes there are people out there that don't mind paying a premium to not deal with PM. Either because they don't want to or cant.

Although I have seen people bidding $380 this week for them, and up to $50 for a 1 oz coin, which is a bit much, people must have no choice, they can't be that impatient About dealing with PM?, and there are also third party dealers like Bullion Money. I sold my Pm bar as I've started buying stackable bars off Bullion money, the southern cross bars. I'll let you know how my first purchase with them goes.

3. VRS

VRS Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've had plenty of really great experiences in the last 3 months when setting up dealer accounts a/c's - phenomenal really. Whilst PM has some great product one shouldn't forget that they are an old institution, not very progressive and with systems that for whatever reasons are 'comfortable' for them. In other words 'a bit of a dinosaur' - actually well intentioned but painfully slow to adapt. I had a hell of a time setting up my PM account, inconvenient, slow, archaic... That doesn't stop me from ordering elsewhere - Why is NZ Mint or Pobjoy so different I ask myself? I dunno... but suspect it's got something to do with their operations being leaner & more customer focus on their domestic mkt - an area which PM has really neglected recently - disdainfully so imho, so why would Aussies want to sign-up with this kind of attitude?

4. Macros_The_Black

Macros_The_Black Member Silver Stacker

Yes I had a lengthy time to set up an account and some technical issues that no-one replied to me about (their user ID verification via Australia Post won't work if you are using an SMSF I suspect). The service was courteous but very slow and I had to chase the account setup.

Subsequently I haven't ordered directly (yet), as usually the price is low, but being in QLD the shipping at 17.50/kg with a 1kg min makes buying elsewhere just as good.

I did look at a 1Kg Lunar Coin - tried to order but their buying was oddly closed for almost an hour the other day (this was posted elsewhere by others), and in the cart, once it was open again, the shipping was quoted as "$35.00" ... but shipping is $17.50 per kilo with 1 kilo min and this was just a 1Kg product .... I gave up.

I will call them to try to order the same thing and find out if this is just a cart error.

I've had excellent service and prices for 3 orders so far from Ossie at Bullion Money here (a Site Sponsor) and would recommend him as being prompt to communicate and ship.

5. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

1kg coin + packaging + capsule = > 1kg = 2kg tier charge

6. Macros_The_Black

I made that assumption at the time, in which case their pricing is a little misleading and I would request that the quotation they show on the site for shipping charges reflect that "this is NOT the shipping price per KG of bullion, but the weight of the actual parcel, including any capsule & wrapping". Also I just looked at the 1Kg coin and their site shows "1001.002" as the gross weight (ie over 1Kg) so this makes it more difficult to quickly work out that a "1kg product" will cost the 2Kg price!

I guess if I buy one, I'll either A). Ask for a 1Kg freight deal or B). Buy *almost* another Kg to get the best averaging for a 2Kg freight charge.

7. whitty

whitty Member

Wouldn't the weight being shown as 1001.002 make it easier to quickly work out that it's over 1kg?

8. Wout

Wout New Member

I think the fact they are a government run mint plays a part because then the government has proof you own Pm's, whereas if you buy from a dealer or privately there is not as much proof thus less chance of being caught for not paying cgt and just the fact of feeling safer knowing the government doesnt know what PM's you own

9. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker

The only proof the government has is that for 1 second you owned PM's. After that, it is a mystery who owns them.

10. Macros_The_Black

Yes for sure .... only if you go look directly at the product description (and it's in list of figures that is easy to overlook - which is why I only saw it on a return inspection). It's not shown on your cart.

Ideally, the estimated weight, including the resulting shipping fee should be shown in the cart, that would help remove any ambiguity or people such as myself assuming the shipping is priced "per kilo of bullion".

Anyway, I understand how it works now!

11. Billythekid

Billythekid New Member

After 8 or 9 deliveries via AAE from the P.M., I have never had my ID checked, not even the first time ! It's the same guy delivering each time though. He even leaves the packages with my wife if i'm not in. I guess I (we) look trustworthy?? I just hope some stranger is not standing in my driveway at an opportune time - or he will be surprised (and lucky).

Bill

12. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

AAE should check ID *every* time, whether it's a personal or business delivery. Airlock deliveries to personal addresses should only be left with the person addressed - not spouses. If this is the case you've got a rouge AAE delivery guy.

13. heike1a2b3c

heike1a2b3c New Member

The few deliveries I have received, have also been delivered by one delivery guy (which does not surprise me), and he always wants me to quote my drivers licence to him. But he never wants to see it and verify that it is in my name or the name on the package. I guess the computer will do the checking for him, as PM knows my licence number from the rego details. Further, I doubt he would leave it unattended at my address. He has told me it would go back to the airport.

14. Ronnie 666

Ronnie 666 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

New Midnight Orders - l 2 January 2012

Logged on - ordered the items and then "ERROR". tried 3 times - ERROR. Got my son to log on in his account and ......wait for it ..........................................

"""ERROR"""""

Contact our help line ----- (obviously closed until the next morning).

Great job PM

Thank goodness this is not a hospital (they are worse)